Trailer leaf vs tortion ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

I have an old 10ft pop up trailer that needs a new axle as the spindles bent last year. I really like how they ride I can't really tell there is a trailer behind me. With my old spring trailer it bounced all over the place unloaded and clunked loaded. I am going to measure the axle soon and order a new axle so what is the advantages to each and disadvantages ? It's currently a 2000lb trailer but I am upgrading the axle to 3500 lb. I have already beefed up the frame so it is far stronger for the new axle.

Thanks
Pete

If I am ever given a choice in trailer axles, torsion it is. Even tho the bushings and shackles for a spring setup are cheap, I'd just plain rather not worry about them. Torsion axles seem to take the rough stuff better too. ;)

If I am ever given a choice in trailer axles, torsion it is. Even tho the bushings and shackles for a spring setup are cheap, I'd just plain rather not worry about them. Torsion axles seem to take the rough stuff better too. ;)
Now I just need to measure it up MM. I found some good looking axles on eBay for a good price and free shipping maybe they will fit.
Thanks MM
Pete

Reactions: MasterMech
Tortion is way better, untill the internal rubber cords fatigue, the ride height starts to drop and you start to loose suspension flex.

I would recommend Dexter Axel. They have some nice hubs (E-Z lube) that have internal passages drilled in them so that when you pump grease into them the internal passages feed fresh greese right to the inner & outer bearings and purges the old crap out.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/video_gallery

And bearing buddies too. They have a greese fitting, spring and flat washer like piston. When you pump them up with grease the spring compresses and the piston moves outboard. As your axel seals leak, the spring keeps 3 psi of grease pressure on the bearings.

This trailer is a '97. I bought it used from a friend in '02. It has 18.5" tires and has seen countless high speed trips to northern Maine. I've replaced several sets of tires, but it still has the original bearings.

It begain riding a bit rougher in '11 and I noticed the axel stubs beginning to sag. It's a 2K axel but sits all years long with 2 650 lb machines in it. Right now it's my lawn shed, because I upgraded to this:

I don't tow with the ZR2's anymore, the Duramax does.

What about driving the bent spindle out and replacing it ? Is that doable ?

Pete

What about driving the bent spindle out and replacing it ? Is that doable ?

Pete
Usually they are welded in and not worth the time/expense to do so. Replacement axles are usually the best option. Plus I like the plan to upgrade to 3500lb gear. Should also give you the option to easily install brakes provided you get an axle that has the brake flanges pre-installed.

Will you have to get the trailer registered as a 3500 ?
Neighbor made one
Was easy to get licensed. Certified scale.
Weigh it empty. & 3500 - weight is max load.
Paperwork to DMV.

Will you have to get the trailer registered as a 3500 ?
Neighbor made one
Was easy to get licensed. Certified scale.
Weigh it empty. & 3500 - weight is max load.
Paperwork to DMV.
It's classified as home made because I stripped down an old popup and did some welding and built it. There was no weight listing due to that. At least thats what I was told and the registration does not list a weight category.

Pete

You should be able to register it as you see fit.

In CT, any small trailer (utility, boat, etc) like that is classified as a camp trailer.
My old sled trailer has a 2200 axel and rating, tagged as a camp trailer.
My new sled trailer has 3500 axel, tagged as a 2990 GVWR camp trailer. In CT > 2999 requires brakes on all axels.
My boat tailer has a 3500 axel, tagged as a 2990 GVWR camp trailer.
My equipment trailer has dual 7000 axels, tagged as a 14 K trailer, and has a title since it is >2999.

Every state has different laws regarding requirements for brakes, how many axels have to be breaked, etc.

It's classified as home made because I stripped down an old popup and did some welding and built it. There was no weight listing due to that. At least thats what I was told and the registration does not list a weight category.

Pete

Be good to go to DMV & check the rules first hand.

Another nice feature to have since you are going new axle.
BRAKES :)
I know my 3500 lb trailer loaded wants to push my truck, brakes are a good feature when over 2000 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.