travis indstries - Avalon VS Lopi?? whats the difference? whats better?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
downriver said:
Treacherous said:
downriver said:
I've been using a Lopi Endeavor for three years. While it a great design, I have found it to be of shoddy construction. The damper operation is so noisy it will wake the dead. The Bypass damper is a great feature. The stove will hold a workable fire for around six hours. My neighbor has a Blaze King......now that is an impressive stove. Before buying a Lopi Endeavor I would look at other options. $.02

This might be a thread of interest.

Thanks...I popped the rivets, disassembled it and blew it out once....was ALMOST quiet for a while......now it just screeches along. As I said, shoddy construction for the price. It will be my last Lopi/ Avalon product and I view it as an expensive mistake. Guess I'll go take it apart again.

You might see if the graphite powder spray helps as well.

Treacherous said:
downriver said:
Treacherous said:
downriver said:
I've been using a Lopi Endeavor for three years. While it a great design, I have found it to be of shoddy construction. The damper operation is so noisy it will wake the dead. The Bypass damper is a great feature. The stove will hold a workable fire for around six hours. My neighbor has a Blaze King......now that is an impressive stove. Before buying a Lopi Endeavor I would look at other options. $.02

This might be a thread of interest.

Thanks...I popped the rivets, disassembled it and blew it out once....was ALMOST quiet for a while......now it just screeches along. As I said, shoddy construction for the price. It will be my last Lopi/ Avalon product and I view it as an expensive mistake. Guess I'll go take it apart again.

You might see if the graphite powder spray helps as well.

I'll pick up some next time I'm in town. I just blew it out with a shop vac again...and it is quiet...for now. Dang dust went everywhere though...Is there a high temp graphite spray?

Someone might need to correct me but I think the graphite spray is designed for high temperature environments. Obviously you would probably want to spray in there on a cool stove since the aerosol is probably flammable.

I was always disappointed with how reluctant my primary air control in my Lopi Liberty was to move. It took more effort than it should (IMO), and was a bit noisy when it did move. After a couple of burning seasons, I took the primary air control assembly off the stove, learned how it all assembled and attached, and went to work on it. I basically smoothed everything I could using a metalworking wheel on a hand grinder, and a couple of files. There were a few puckered corners from the manufacturing process that were keeping the thing from sliding smoothly and quietly. Prior to reassembly, I gave all the sliding surfaces that contacted each other a light coat of anti-seize compound (there are a number of brands available, all of similar composition & performance...high temps not a problem). The thing has worked smoothly, silently, effortlessly, and perfectly in all respects ever since. Should I have to do that on an expensive stove? Perhaps not. Was it a big deal to do? Not really. Am I happy with my Lopi Liberty overall? Absolutely. Rick

Treacherous said:
Someone might need to correct me but I think the graphite spray is designed for high temperature environments. Obviously you would probably want to spray in there on a cool stove since the aerosol is probably flammable.

I added a convection blower last year.....I've found it to be a real nice cold morning option...thanks for your replies..and for motivating me to blow dust again.

fossil said:
I was always disappointed with how reluctant my primary air control in my Lopi Liberty was to move. It took more effort than it should (IMO), and was a bit noisy when it did move. After a couple of burning seasons, I took the primary air control assembly off the stove, learned how it all assembled and attached, and went to work on it. I basically smoothed everything I could using a metalworking wheel on a hand grinder, and a couple of files. There were a few puckered corners from the manufacturing process that were keeping the thing from sliding smoothly and quietly. Prior to reassembly, I gave all the sliding surfaces that contacted each other a light coat of anti-seize compound (there are a number of brands available, all of similar composition & performance...high temps not a problem). The thing has worked smoothly, silently, effortlessly, and perfectly in all respects ever since. Should I have to do that on an expensive stove? Perhaps not. Was it a big deal to do? Not really. Am I happy with my Lopi Liberty overall? Absolutely. Rick

I've got a tube of anti-seize but have hesitated using it as I thought that in the long run, it would just trap matter

Status
Not open for further replies.