Tree guy says cherry, idk, poplar, beach?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
B112E711-E9AF-42FF-B482-9611A663BB40.jpeg
AE474A50-8DC5-4D01-98DC-7432EF9F8326.jpeg
44A7937D-CEC0-4888-BF85-7DC8201A67E3.jpeg
C63DE2CE-88C4-48BC-8193-47F2A615584E.jpeg

What do you guys say.

There’s a language barrier between me and tree guy. He said cherry, I said beech. Then he said yes beech cherry. There’s a idk spearmint smell when split.

It's not black cherry. That has what's called burnt potato chip bark. And a redder wood inside. But the bark does look like a type of cherry.

+1 for black birch (B. lenta) - bark plus wintergreen (OP mentioned spearmint) scent of crushed twigs.
Great firewood.

Pin cherry, or black birch, Id have to smell it to know

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
It looks like the images I googled of black birch. It doesn’t grow in my part of the country, so I couldn’t be sure.

That's Choke Cherry. Similar but the bark is smooth and the wood a little softer. As same odor as Black Cherry, it's cousin. Burns well though not quite as well as Black.

looks like black birch
spearmint smell when scraping live bark would confirm it.
it's decent firewood

100% Black Birch. Have it all over my property and a few cords CSS. Great wood, one of my favorites.

Reactions: graycatman
That's Choke Cherry. Similar but the bark is smooth and the wood a little softer. As same odor as Black Cherry, it's cousin. Burns well though not quite as well as Black.
You mean pin cherry? Choke cherry's an altogether different looking wood. Google pin cherry

Thanks so much everyone, a definite minty smell when split. I was concerned the tree guy bamboozeled me! Hopefully it will cure with the oak I stacked it with, should be 2022 wood.

The black birch will be ready to burn in half the time as the oak.

That is definitely Blackbirch. The king of firewood as far as I’m concerned.
I agree , its my top 2 favorite wood along with hickory, if that's what it is he's golden.

I had a few chunks of that some years back, had no idea what it was until now, reading this thread. I figured at the time it was some kind of ornamental fruit tree or something.