Tree I'D Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTRock

Burning Hunk
Aug 3, 2014
CT

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
My mistake I edited a redundant picture now it blew them all out and won't let me upload grrrrr!

Here is another pic

Attachments

• 20140903_101110.jpg
    20140903_101110.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 188
Kinda hard to tell for sure... looks like red maple. Got one behind the house that's growing like that.

Your first photo looks like American Chestnut. The leaves curl like that. Please get a close up of a leaf. The second photo had a number of stuff going on. Sugar maple, basswood, quaking aspen, poison ivy...etc.
Find out if you do have Chestnut before you cut it, its kind of extinct.

Yes my wife and I looked it up and it has pricklys growing on it. Yes chestnuts wow!

1409758426154.jpg

Attachments

• 1409758580982.jpg
    1409758580982.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 98
Yes my wife and I looked it up and it has pricklys growing on it. Yes chestnuts wow!

American chestnut or horse chestnut?

That leaf is definitely catalpa. People often prune them into the "umbrella tree" shape. One of the trees that I truly despise. My parents have a very large one at their house, and it was always dropping something on the lawn all times of the year. Plus the wood from it is about useless.

Is that the tree that was laying on the ground with the split trunk? I was going to guess norway maple on that one based on the bark and the leaves visible in the foreground. Hard to tell without a better look though.

I'd like to see a better pic of that possibly American Chestnut. That could be a scientifically important tree if it's large enough to produce chestnuts. 99% of all American Chestnut was wiped out by the chestnut blight back in the 1800's.

I'm not sure what kind of chestnut? I can try and take another pic tomorrow afternoon

That stinks it's not a good wood. It's pretty dense. Half rotted and when I plunged my saw into it, stunk like a cheezy old sock

Status
Not open for further replies.