Tree ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dima1973

Feb 12, 2017
Philadelphia, pa
Please help me with tree I'd. I think its maple, but not sure what kind. This would be super easy pick but I will do it only if it primo stuff. I'm plenty ahead on supply already as it is. I'm in SE PA. 20180813_174724.jpg 20180813_174710.jpg 20180813_174701.jpg

Thank you.

Leaves (maple leaf with deep sinuses & light bottom) and bark - looks like silver maple.

Silver maple +1

I decided to take it. I like doing this during cold month much better. What was I thinking, lol

PS
I bought myself de stihl 2in1 sharpaner and this thing work great!!!

Attachments

• 20180817_173835.jpg
    20180817_173835.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I like Silver Maple, it dries pretty quickly and ignites easily, burns with a nice lively flame and throws decent enough heat. Works great for kindling too!

I use to hate silver maple, then I got a decent score of some nice straight grained stuff and it seasoned very nicely just in a year. I'm starting to come back around to it I think.

I use to hate silver maple, then I got a decent score of some nice straight grained stuff and it seasoned very nicely just in a year. I'm starting to come back around to it I think.
I have some really old maple I seem to have issues getting maple going for some reason. The tree was HUGE (60"+ DBH) and really twisted up good. But I needed wood because my stock was getting low. It's now been seasoned for 3+ years (maybe more, I can't recall for sure). It starts about like black locust, IE, it doesn't start unless it's on a bed of hot coals. I can't figure it out... I've never had problems getting maple to burn before...

ETA, It's definitely DRY, I didn't put the meter to it but I've been burning long enough to know that it's definitely dry. And it's not rotten...

Last edited: