Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

therealdbeau

Burning Hunk
Oct 16, 2018
VA
Hi folks. Got a tree in my yard that's ready for the axe someday. Any idea what I've got? Thanks
IMG_20190915_095243.jpg
IMG_20190915_095307.jpg

Black cherry is my vote as well.

At first I thought it could have been an old black birch , but I think it’s cherry.

Reactions: Lakeside
The bark to me looks like cherry but the only cherry I'm familiar with are short spread out only maybe 10 feet tall ay most. I just googled black cherry to see they can get quite tall. Thank you all for your input

The bark looks light in the photo, but my guess is also black cherry.

Can't beat the smell of cherry when freshly split. Save some for smoking if you have a stick burner!

Not to sound repetitive, but, that is Black Cherry. I recently had numerous dead ones on my property that I had cut, split and stacked and are now seasoning in my wood-shed. One good thing about Black Cherry is that, compared to Oak, it should only take about a full year (or less) to season where the moisture content level is approx. 18%.

Please realize, I split my pieces numerous times for the maximum drying effort and my firewood is stored in a large wood shed with spacing for maximum air flow. Actual drying / seasoning times may differ on how one splits their firewood, one's location as well as how it is stored.

Lol, just looking at the tree pic, before looking at the bark, I said "hmmm, leany...leggy...might be a Black Cherry." ;)