Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Osage

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2011
kansas
Need an I'D on this tree. Going to have some Red Oak and Red Maples spaded from a pasture just north of us. Found this out there also but don't know what it is, looks alot like a Apple. The trees that we are getting are getting were planted about 20 yrs ago and I assume this one also. Could not find any leaves. If it's some kind of ornamental tree, It's going to stay where it is.

20230305_164323.jpg 20230305_164304.jpg

Guess black cherry or birch.

Looks like a fruit bearing tree to me. Could be a crab apple maybe? Plum?

The tree shape makes me think of a (ornamental) Bradford pear.

So likely in the fruit corner of trees indeed.

Reactions: WiscoWoody
Could be a mountain ash but there are a couple of other more obscure ornamentals with similar bark like golden chain tree.

Looks like a young honey locust to me.

Nothing like HL I've ever seen.

Form and structure look like honeylocust, and bark consistent with young HL.

I’d lean towards fruit tree that at some point was taken care of, since most of the larger limbs are pointed upwards which is a pruning guideline to follow with fruit trees

Form and structure look like honeylocust, and bark consistent with young HL.
No Honey Locust leaves around it. I have 2 Honey Locust trees in my yard that I planted 35 yrs ago. This isn't a Honey Locust.