Tree man dropped some wood! Help with ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbarf48

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2012
Stone Mountain GA
Hes brought by 3 different loads of assorted species

The pics below are from the latest load he dropped? White oak or hickory maybe?

IMG_3342.jpg IMG_1045.jpg

Soft Maple, 100%

Yep, looks like the silver maple I cut last year- should be good to go for next year if you put it up soon.

Reactions: paul bunion
Soft Maple doesn't burn as long as Oak or Hickory but will be dry by fall. I burned quite a bit of it, and Cherry, all winter long even though I had longer-burning stuff on hand.

Soft Maple doesn't burn as long as Oak or Hickory but will be dry by fall. I burned quite a bit of it, and Cherry, all winter long even though I had longer-burning stuff on hand.

Currently stocking up on both, plus some beech. Seemed to burn just as hot but like you said just not as long. I have 2 years worth of oak but it's only had a year to season so far. I don't intend to stop burning the soft stuff even when it does get ready, still great wood

I don't intend to stop burning the soft stuff, still great wood
It's great when you need heat now, but want the load to burn down a little quicker to make room for the overnight load.

It's great when you need heat now, but want the load to burn down a little quicker to make room for the overnight load.

Yep. I can't get the long overnight burn most can with this little 17 but I'm hoping to upgrade to the 13nc before next year and get a couple more hours. I've yet to get over 4, even with well seasoned oak.

Stock up on it. It's a quick seasoned type. You might need if we have another cold winter you can save your harder wood for the real cold months.

I just split over a cord of Silver Maple (which is what you have) back in September for next Winter. It wasn't as buttery as I would have liked. It was often stringy, but not impossible by any means. It's just the annoying last 15% on many of the splits that was a pain and stringy. You'll have some good patches and some pain in the back patches. I look forward to burning it next Winter - though I know it's mid-grade burning.

except Boxelder

Stuff burns like 100 year old newspaper! But I've burned the 4 that use to stand in my yard because they stood in my yard. I wouldn't have crossed the street for it.

I just split over a cord of Silver Maple (which is what you have) back in September for next Winter. It wasn't as buttery as I would have liked. It was often stringy, but not impossible by any means. It's just the annoying last 15% on many of the splits that was a pain and stringy. You'll have some good patches and some pain in the back patches. I look forward to burning it next Winter - though I know it's mid-grade burning.

Exactly what I've found also.

fv

We've burned a lot of soft maple because we have a lot of it here. Have always liked it. Splits about as easy as you can get an dries super fast. Makes excellent kindling because it splits so super easy, lights easy and burns hot. For regular firewood you may want to split it a bit on the large size but still some small ones are nice for starting fires and for getting other woods to light off quicker. It will coal well but still won't give as long of a fire as oak or hard maple but is still decent firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.