Tricks for sealing used caulking tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
OK, here is one I've never found a satisfactory solution for - how to seal partially used standard 9" caulking tubes, so the material doesn't cure and clog up the tip in the process.

The two best I've tried are
: slip-on plastic caps, and
: cover the end with a piece of plastic baggie and wrapping a rubber band around it.

Both have worked sometimes (50/50).

What have you found that works for you?

I squirt a good bit out of the tip and let it cover the hole. When it comes time to reuse the tube I pull the caulk tip off and push the wire cleaner down into the tube. It has always worked for me.

Matt

Good caulking comes with screw on nozzles. I buy my caulking by the 4 case lots. They come with a sealed thread that you simply cut off just above the threads and screw on a nozzle.. On a partial tube just unscrew the used nozzle, screw on a new one and you are good to go.
On a regular cheap type caulk tube you can screw a wirenut onto the end.. That will last for up to a few days/weeks.

A properly sized electrical wire nut or any of the other options mentioned above.

I've used nails and even old screwdrivers. I like the screwdrivers because they are long and extend into the tube.

Good sized nail, spike or standard drywall screw has worked pretty well for me.

It's nice when the tube comes with screw on nozzles or "Dap Caps", but if I understand the industry right, they don't want us to preserve it. I have tried all of the tricks listed above (the wire cap is also good, but it doesn't seem to seal it completely), but what I have found to work the best is "Replacemnt Tops". My hardware store sells the top part of the tube and it has an extra large nozzle on it. I cut the nozzle off, then slip it over the nozzle on the tube, then seal it with tape. The Replacement tops come in a package of 5 or 6 and ain't real cheap, but still cheaper and more convenient in the long run.

There is a business oportunity out there for y'all. Make some low cost slip on nozzles. Only I bet the caulking industry will be knocking on your door to buy out your business.

Bill

I put about a three inch long screw in the nozzle. That way if the stuff is really tough, you can unsrew it. Usualy works.

put a plastic sandwich baggie over the nozzle, and then use the largest size red wire nut to turn that onto the tip. learned it from a local builder not perfect, but works as well as anything I've tried

Status
Not open for further replies.