Trouble Using Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnrstern3

Oct 19, 2014
California
Hello,

I recently moved into a unit with a Bosca 700 Pellet Stove. I have been running it normally using the Manual mode (and it works great), but would like to be able to use the T-Stat function. The problem I am having is the stove will not turn on when the temp drops below the temp set on the t-stat. I looked at the wiring which seems fine. The one thing that does happen when I push the On/Off button while the stove is set to t-stat is it will start its start up process but turns off 10 minutes later. The 3rd light on the heat level display is flashing so I looked in the manual and none of the problems they list seem to be one setting specific so I can't imagine the problem is anything listed. The stove was just cleaned and serviced last month as well. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do??? Any suggestions would be awesome! Thank you!

Have tou tried setting the tstat really high and see if it comes on? Its not uncommon for tstats to be off by as much as 10 degrees in some cases.

Reactions: Big papa
Yes, I've moved it all the way up to 90 or whatever the highest is and all the way to the lowest and I hear the click on the thermostat but the stove does nothing. Also it is a millivolt thermostat which is what is required.

Has it ever worked with the thermostat? I would suspect a wiring issue of some sort if the thermostat is actuating.

Are you unpluging the stove from thr wall before switching to thermostat mode? I see your manual says this is a needed step on page 30

And you have checked all the wiring for tightness and that it is hooked up correctly?

If the wiring is good then its either the thermostat or the control board where the wiring connects to inside the stove. Do you have a multimeter to put on it to see if the contacts are opening and closing correctly?

disconnect the wiring from the stat .. likely it is two wire as that is all that is needed, the RH (red) and white (W) no matter which is which.. it is a simple switch at the heart of it. anyway connect the two bare stat wires together, if the stove starts it is probably a bad stat and not the stove, if not there is an issue at the control board or with the wire itself

Reactions: JDenyer236
disconnect the wiring from the stat .. likely it is two wire as that is all that is needed, the RH (red) and white (W) no matter which is which.. it is a simple switch at the heart of it. anyway connect the two bare stat wires together, if the stove starts it is probably a bad stat and not the stove, if not there is an issue at the control board or with the wire itself

Not sure if this helps but I tested just putting the two thermostat wires together and nothing happened, but when I unplugged the stove and switched the setting to auto which from my understanding uses the thermostat but instead of turning off when at temp it goes to a lower setting and it worked.

Not sure if this helps but I tested just putting the two thermostat wires together and nothing happened, but when I unplugged the stove and switched the setting to auto which from my understanding uses the thermostat but instead of turning off when at temp it goes to a lower setting and it worked.
not entirely clear as to what you did there sounds like you unplugged the stove , turned it on to auto which uses the stat and then when you touched the two wires together the stove started .. is that right ? if so sounds like your thermostat may be the problem, did you run the stove on auto previously with the stat wired in ?

not entirely clear as to what you did there sounds like you unplugged the stove , turned it on to auto which uses the stat and then when you touched the two wires together the stove started .. is that right ? if so sounds like your thermostat may be the problem, did you run the stove on auto previously with the stat wired in ?

That is what I did sorry if it was unclear, but it did not turn on while on t-stat mode doing the same process.

sounds like the board has an issue in t-stat mode .. time to call your installer \ local shop I think

Status
Not open for further replies.