Trouble with smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mol1jb

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2014
Central IL
Hey all,

Lately when I open the door to my 30 even just a crack I get smoke rolling out. It has never done this before. All winter it has been running great but lately smoke has been a real issue. Any ideas?

How long has it been since the last sweep?

Often times this happens if the chimney cap starts to plug up.

This is especially the case if the wood isn't as well seasoned as one would hope it to be.

pen

I'm with Pen. You should stop burning and check the chimney. It could be weather related but doubtful since it's the only time it has happened.

Yes I checked the baffle boards. I was thinking chimney sweep as well. It was installed past november but my wood is subpar this season so I'll get up there on monday when it is a bit warmer and check it out.

Yes I checked the baffle boards. I was thinking chimney sweep as well. It was installed past november but my wood is subpar this season so I'll get up there on monday when it is a bit warmer and check it out.
+1 good call.....I think you'll find it a little dirty especially since you say you've been burning sub par wood. be safe on the roof.....especially coming down. those ladders can be prone to slip out from under you.....ask me how I know and learned that lesson._g

the smoke out the door was the tell tell sign for me! Mine was filthy after 3 weeks of subpar wood

If this setup is new to you, check the screen on the cap. They plug right up with wet wood and cold fires. The first year I cleaned mine twice. By the third pugging, I removed the screen and never looked back. That said, the cap was a gooey mess of wet creosote then. Oak wood I was burning wasn't very seasoned. Now at the yearly cleaning the cap is only a little dirtier the rest of the chimney. So maybe now I could get the 1/4 screen to work, but I'm not going through that again. The only issue I do get blue birds in there.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Status
Not open for further replies.