Troubleshoot Heatilator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Okaydave

Nov 15, 2017
Ohio
I have a Heatilator CD4236IR-C natural gas fireplace that is malfunctioning. I was wondering if anyone has some thoughts. Here are the problems that I am encountering:

1. When I flip the wall switch, I can hear the igniter and the pilot lights. The burner sometimes will not light.

2. When the burner does light, it will stay on for a minute and then goes out.

3. Sometimes the burner will stay on with no issue.

Do you think replacing the pilot assembly will resolve the problem?

Can you post a pic of the pilot assembly. Sounds to me like you have a thermopile that is on it's way out.
True Value sells a Unversal Millivolt generator for around $50, but I would like to see a pic before I can
confirm that it may be the issue. Another thing to check is your wall switch. When one of them goes bad,
the same symptoms can occur.

is that the standing pilot version or ipi?
sorry didn't have time to read the manual and figure that out via your model number.
if ipi, try cleaning the flame sensor, light steel wool. otherwise follow Bob's advice

Hello, attached is a photo.

Attachments

• 97CE2C80-0800-4C04-995C-A85F4C1518AE.jpeg
    97CE2C80-0800-4C04-995C-A85F4C1518AE.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 250
I gave it a go. THe good news is that after cleaning the flame sensor the burner lit.. It only worked two times and it is back to the pilot only lighting and the burner won’t light.