Troy-Bilt 27 ton needs a new control valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
When you say the valve operates in reverse what do you mean?
1 The the handle is pushed away from the log, to the rear, and the detent is pushed in toward the rear and the piston comes out to split the log?
2. The handle is pushed toward the log and the detent is engaged, the piston pulls in and retracts away from the log?

When you say the valve operates in reverse what do you mean?
1 The the handle is pushed away from the log, to the rear, and the detent is pushed in toward the rear and the piston comes out to split the log?
2. The handle is pushed toward the log and the detent is engaged, the piston pulls in and retracts away from the log?

Again I thank you for your advice and help....

When i pull the handle toward the log, the wedge goes away from it and i have to hold it.

When I push the handle away from the log, the wedge come forward and i dont have to hold the handle and it keeps going.

When i pull the handle toward the log, the wedge goes away from it and i have to hold it.

When I push the handle away from the log, the wedge come forward and i dont have to hold the handle and it keeps going.

Great. All you have to do is reverse the handle flange, item # 8, and the pin that supports the handle. Item # 8 and refer to my original instructions. When the PIVOT points on the handle change you reverse the operation even though the handle travels in the same direction.

15244419194822065661024.jpg

Great. All you have to do is reverse the handle flange, item # 8, and the pin that supports the handle. Item # 8 and refer to my original instructions. When the PIVOT points on the handle change you reverse the operation even though the handle travels in the same direction.
But he said the detent is on the forward stroke, not the return stroke. If he follows your direction, he will indeed reverse the handle direction, but the detent will still be on the forward stroke. There are two issues with this, safety and the fact that the detent will pop everytime it builds pressure.

Reactions: kevin j and Jags
But he said the detent is on the forward stroke, not the return stroke. If he follows your direction, he will indeed reverse the handle direction, but the detent will still be on the forward stroke. There are two issues with this, safety and the fact that the detent will pop everytime it builds pressure.
The poster needs to check his own instruction manual for the proper operation and instructions regarding this process.
From my quote of his comment on post #28:"Again I thank you for your advice and help....

When I push the handle away from the log, the wedge come forward and i dont have to hold the handle and it keeps going."
My understanding, from his comment, the fix is rotating item #8.
By reversing/rotating item # 8 the handle moves in the same direction but the spool action is reversed and the detent will be properly called for when the piston retracts with no detent in the extending position.

Reactions: Jags
Here is a diagram of a valve handle change with the handle on the same side as the ports. By changing pivot points the valve handle can also be positioned opposite the ports.
valve change rs.jpg

Attachments

• valve change rs.jpg
    valve change rs.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 195
I had forgotten that the valve mounts directly to the cylinder on the speedco splitters. Good catch.

On the flip side, VI and TT have the fix. Basically changing the lever pull from a push to a pull or vise versa. But does that deal with the detent position?

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin j
I had forgotten that the valve mounts directly to the cylinder on the speedco splitters. Good catch.

On the flip side, VI and TT have the fix. Basically changing the lever pull from a push to a pull or vise versa. But does that deal with the detent position?
Maybe? I think we all hope so.

Reactions: kevin j
I don’t think its gonna....

I think it will but I can't see the valve/operation, and Ashful's post about safety has me second guessing myself and referring the user to his operating instructions. Triptesters diagram, imo, validates my original presumptions about changing the position of flange #8.

On Energy log splitter valves the port nearest the handle is the retract port with detent. On Prince log splitter valves the port farthest from the handle is the retract port with detent. Which port that controls retract varies with brand.

Reactions: Jags and kevin j

No, it will not. Detent is in the spool, of which the orientation is not changing. Reversing item 8 will reverse handle direction, but will keep the detend on the extend stroke. You must remove valve from cylinder, and re-attach via the other working port. Leave item 8 and the handle alone.

No, it will not. Detent is in the spool, of which the orientation is not changing. Reversing item 8 will reverse handle direction, but will keep the detend on the extend stroke. You must remove valve from cylinder, and re-attach via the other working port. Leave item 8 and the handle alone.

Thank you everyone for your input. Is removing the valve from the cylinder difficult?

Jim

Thank you everyone for your input. Is removing the valve from the cylinder difficult?

Jim

Not if you’re the one who installed it. However, mine installed by the factory was on there very tight. I remember using a 40 inch pipe on the end of my wrench, to get sufficient leverage.

Reactions: Ashful
Figured as much, Jags. ;-)

BTW, you’ll want to pick up a small tube of hydraulic pipe dope (eg. LocTite 567) for reassembly. Don’t be using regular dopes designed for household plumbing, they may not hold up well in a hydraulic system.

So when you pull the handle toward the log is the valve pushed in or pulled out?
What side is the handle bracket, #8 on- upper or lower?

Not that I'm aware of. Is switching the working ports impossible? Are you sure you didn't get the inlet and outlet reversed?

Can i disassemble the new value and reverse it? Is this what TomC was talking about in his original post about the Speeco value?

I have no idea, sometimes the internet creates a communication gap. (In the gentlest of tone) I think it's best to take the splitter to a qualified shop so they can evaluate the problem, propose a solution, and make the corrections.

Hi all, Has anyone ordered the O-ring rebuild kit? I looked on the Energy website and it the kit costs $15 but the least expensive shipping method they offer is UPS and it costs $21. This is ridiculous for 3 O rings. Has anyone tried a third party vendor, like eBay or any other online entity? Just wondering whether the O-rings might be incorrectly sized/wrong thickness, etc. Any input would be appreciated. Cheers, Doug

Hi all, Has anyone ordered the O-ring rebuild kit? I looked on the Energy website and it the kit costs $15 but the least expensive shipping method they offer is UPS and it costs $21. This is ridiculous for 3 O rings. Has anyone tried a third party vendor, like eBay or any other online entity? Just wondering whether the O-rings might be incorrectly sized/wrong thickness, etc. Any input would be appreciated. Cheers, Doug
Take yours apart and go to a hydrolic shop,they probably can match your orings