troy bilt 27 ton splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2008
upstate new york
i purchased the troy bilt 27 ton splitter. i was wondering if i could attach a light post. if this is possible how would you do this?

plan on splitting at night??

woolybugger said:
i purchased the troy bilt 27 ton splitter. i was wondering if i could attach a light post. if this is possible how would you do this?

Buy it at Lowes, what did you pay, any deals?

Are you talking a light that would be powered by the splitter, or a post with a long extension cord that you plug in somewhere?

The mechanical part of putting on a light pole is certainly possible, details depend on your imagination and ingenuity at coming up with a design and attachment method that works for you. My friend welded a hunk of pipe to the top of the beam on one of his splitters - he sticks a beach umbrella in it in the summer time for shade, but no reason you couldn't do something like that with a light pole.

If you want to run off of AC, obviously that's not a big problem, just do the standard three wire electric cord thing.

If you need something that is splitter powered, it's a bit trickier - some of those engines have alternator coils that can be used to run a light, some don't - check the specs on your engine... The ones that don't can sometimes be retrofitted, again depends on the engine (and you will probably do better to check with the engine maker than you would with the splitter maker in that case)

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
My friend welded a hunk of pipe to the top of the beam on one of his splitters - he sticks a beach umbrella in it in the summer time for shade...
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I've just been standing the umbrella next to it.

If you mount a light stand on the splitter, you would likely be working in your own shadow.

thanks, i will check the specs on the engine. Just thought it would be nice to have a swivel mounted light post, for those days when it is overcast or getting close to dusk

The husky portable light is nice! but i really want to power it with the splitter. the engine on the splitter is a gc160 honda. i have looked at all the specs and still cannot find out if this engine has a alternator coil? any help would be appreciated.

woolybugger said:
The husky portable light is nice! but i really want to power it with the splitter. the engine on the splitter is a gc160 honda. i have looked at all the specs and still cannot find out if this engine has a alternator coil? any help would be appreciated.
alternator coil dont believe so the honda just runs the pump

Unless the splitter has the electric start option, I doubt if they would have strapped an engine on that had the charging parts (would cost and extra buck fity, ya know)

Self contained is probably gonna be a little tricky at this point.

under the specs. for this engine it says recoil or electric start.

which neither of us have on our troy builts - as mentioned it's $150.00 option

thanks for all the replies! stuck wishing i had that option on

Regardless of how the engine came, it might be possible to retrofit the alternator parts - I'd be rather surprised if it weren't since that would mean needing to make two versions of the engine, shroud, etc. rather than one version and just not putting all the possible bits onto it...

However it would take someone far more qualified to deal with the Honda parts system than I am to figure out what is needed, and even then, there is the big question of how much do you want to pay for it?

Might be worth seeing if there are any good Honda engine support sites on the web that can give more definite answers, and possibly point at some discount parts sources. The Best Snowblower & Lawnmower Forum is good on the named equipment, but I don't know if they have splitter engine experience that would help. This shop, Precise Engine Repair, Honda info, is linked to by the other forum and sounds like they might be able to help you...

Once you figure out what is needed, you might also make out getting the parts on Flea-bay... Also remember that Wisconsin-Robin and many of the "China-clone" engines are copies of the Honda units, so they might also have interchangeable parts for less money.

Gooserider

thanks everyone, i will check out some other forums as well. if this cant be done, then oh well the splitter still will run strong even at night. i just use the trusty old coleman lantern.

maybe find a shelled out engine that had electric start. all you need is the flywheel and stator coil. does honda make any of the riding lawnmowers.
but it does seem more work thanit is worth though.....
Hopefully you don't have close neighbors who here the engine at 10 pm.
I forgot that I now live around people, who somehow objected to roofing nailers going at 1 am.. oops, never even crossed my mind.
I bought one of the Wobble Lights for house consturciton and use it outside a lot. Nice, but low on the ground. Light up high on a pole is less shadows, better depth perception for me. And working in dark has safety issues

Status
Not open for further replies.