Trucks (or engines) to stay away from advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the midwest and I'd imagine any of them would rust out further north. Curious to know how the F series would be any extra susceptible though.

But bondo and paint keep away what we do get. The red 2wd in the back gets painted rustoleum about every third year. The blue one is still living on factory paint and needs a bondo job on the fender. Someone tried to stuff some kind of putty in there. Didn't notice it until ripping the fender trim off during the wood retrieving.

They're cheap, a guys not afraid to put a dent on them out in the woods. 4x4 for 1500 bucks 100k original miles is tough to beat. Not hard to find deals like that on the 9th gen F 1/250's.
Trucks_zpsem2tlucj.jpg

I'm in the midwest and I'd imagine any of them would rust out further north. Curious to know how the F series would be any extra susceptible though.

But bondo and paint keep away what we do get. The red 2wd in the back gets painted rustoleum about every third year. The blue one is still living on factory paint and needs a bondo job on the fender. Someone tried to stuff some kind of putty in there. Didn't notice it until ripping the fender trim off during the wood retrieving.

They're cheap, a guys not afraid to put a dent on them out in the woods. 4x4 for 1500 bucks 100k original miles is tough to beat. Not hard to find deals like that on the 9th gen F 1/250's.
View attachment 168679
It's not fords in particular or the cold and snow. It's the constant freeze/thaw cycles we get living on the coast in the north. The roads are constantly covered with salt.

After 15 years the frames on most trucks are pretty rotted and there's not much of the body left to bondo.

Reactions: bad news
It's not fords in particular or the cold and snow. It's the constant freeze/thaw cycles we get living on the coast in the north. The roads are constantly covered with salt.

After 15 years the frames on most trucks are pretty rotted and there's not much of the body left to bondo.

It's not just the coast, There is a reason that Syracuse is called "the Salt city"

Can't believe it took this long for someone to mention the 6.0 Powerstroke being a piece of crap. I'm a Ford guy, love my 08 6.4...but you couldn't give me a 6.0. I'm with you.
My favorite truck was my 04 F250 CC King Ranch 6.0. If it had the V 10 I would still own it, couldn't afford to keep that 6.0 running and it only had 145k on it. At least you could pull the heads on the 6.0 without taking the cab off, don't think that's doable with the 6.4 is it?

Reactions: bad news
Up here the Solar Salt (road salt) is 25% of the problem. The roads and the salt gets pre-treated with Magnesium Chloride, which speeds up the rate of oxidation of any metal, especially those with an electrical current in them, by something in the neighborhood of 1000% !!. The MassDOT had to repair the entire fleet a few years back because the water on the roads found its way into the headlight wiring harness, and proceeded to eat its way through the copper, all the way to the switch. Dodges, Chevys, GMCs and Fords; they all rust, it just seems like the 99-2005 F super duty's are the worst of the bunch.

I really liked my 1971 one ton (1310) International pickup. I wish they still made a pickup, like to see a dt466 put into one. The 345 was a good engine and pretty good on gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.