Truly seasoned firewood-purchase report

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDXpyro

Burning Hunk
Oct 10, 2013
NW Oregon
Just wanted to add this note to counter the many who pessimistically insist that buying well-seasoned firewood soon before burning is a hopeless endeavor. I was a bit lax stashing sufficient firewood for the coming season -- have plenty for for 2015/16, tho! -- and ran across a Craigslist ad run by a young fellow who's selling wood in order to pay for accounting school.

[EDIT]: Oops, meant to write that I have plenty for 2016/17!

He promised to deliver a full cord of fully seasoned Doug fir, and glory be: a fat cord under 15% MC, at a fair market price! I promptly ordered another one, and am now set to sail comfortably through winter with this to supplement the well-seasoned hardwoods already stashed. Almost wish I had room for more, or could think of someone else locally who needs a referral for good short-term wood.

I asked if he'd still be in the firewood business next year, and he said "Boy, I hope not." Too bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ash and Seanm
They exist but you have to find someone who isn't in if for a career most times. I sell a few cords (3-5) a year that I split and stack and it sits in the racks for at least a year and a half before I will sell it.

I don't try and make a killing off of it or short any one, I just sell a little extra to cover my fuel and maintenance costs.

Yep, When I find a great deal, get it while it lasts because next time you get over there its usually gone!

same sell a bit every now and again- stash of dried stuff is about 2- 4 years since css. Got some other that 1.5 at this point, Depends a bit on the species as far as use time goes. all told around 40 cord , figure If I get laid up I'm good for awhile. I just keep on collecting and css couple cord of mixed big leaf Maple to due as well finishing up a couple cords of Red Elm. Too hot to work at it next couple days.

same sell a bit every now and again- stash of dried stuff is about 2- 4 years since css. Got some other that 1.5 at this point, Depends a bit on the species as far as use time goes. all told around 40 cord , figure If I get laid up I'm good for awhile. I just keep on collecting and css couple cord of mixed big leaf Maple to due as well finishing up a couple cords of Red Elm. Too hot to work at it next couple days.

Yo, Blades, if you happen to have a bit too much stacked at your place let me know - seems I have been goofing off a bit (actually been a bit gimpy for a while). :( I've got some empty racks that need filling for this winter. About 1-1/2 cord would do me good.

I've got a next door neighbor contemplating taking down a very large maple (1+ cord for me) - but I think she is procrastinating the price of the drop........ That wood wouldn't be seasoned until at least 2017 even if she gets her act together soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.