Trying to be efficient

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here's the damper

Attachments

• IMG_1113.JPG
    IMG_1113.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 118
I've been running it with the pipe damper wide open if that helps explain haha (I'm new to this) I'm assuming I should open it slightly?
honestly it doesnt matter much you are not going to get much of any efficency out of that stove. I am still concerned what is behind that brick wall

With the doors closed we would use the damper to control the draft but it didn't have much impact.

Why don't you just use the stove as is untill you get a modern stove. Enjoy the ambiance of an open fire. Closing the doors will not slow the burn but it will cut down on heated air going up the chimney. You will have to bring everything up to code when you replace it.

Here's the damper
I never saw a damper that close to the stove.Usually the damper is about 12-16 inches above the stove.Once you get the stove fully blazing close the damper.not completely closed but try different settings to see where you are getting a longer burn and heat off the stove.How long are your burn times with your usual routine ?Leaving your damper wide open will definitely allow the wood to burn faster so turn the damper to slow the burn rate.

I never saw a damper that close to the stove.Usually the damper is about 12-16 inches above the stove.Once you get the stove fully blazing close the damper.not completely closed but try different settings to see where you are getting a longer burn and heat off the stove.How long are your burn times with your usual routine ?Leaving your damper wide open will definitely allow the wood to burn faster so turn the damper to slow the burn rate.
That is where the damper is on old frankilns like that.