Trying to decide on an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NRGarrott

Sep 22, 2013
Annapolis, MD
Hey everyone, I am new to wood burning, and I am attempting to pick the correct insert for my new to me 1954 cottage in Annapolis, MD. I am moving into a 872 sq ft house built with 2x4 walls, minimal insulation in the walls, and minimal attic insulation. My wife and I have decided on a insert as opposed to a free standing stove to save space in the small house. There are 3 used inserts in good condition on craigslist that I was looking at, and I was hoping for some guidance. The first one is a Quadrafire 3100i that makes 47k btu's with a 1.9 cu ft firebox. The 2nd one is a Buck model 21 that makes 41k btu's with a 1.6 cu ft firebox, and the third one is a brand new Century that makes 65k btu's that accepts 20 inch logs, unsure of firebox size.

Any thoughts on which one would work best for us. The house has a central masonry fireplace of good size, that is about 10 feet from the bedroom doors. I prefer a cool house in the winter, my wife prefers it warm. The current heating system is a 2 year old trane oil burning furnace. I was hoping to go with used as opposed to new to save money, I am a general contractor so I'm pretty comfortable lining the flue myself.

Either the Quad or the Buck sounds like a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.