Trying to figure a wood stove install in a 1717 home's fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefilly

Mar 19, 2008
central ma
Fireplace is 67" wide front, 44" wide back, 44 1/2 " tall and brick floor hearth comes out 49". Looking into a jotul f 600 firelight cb, but the online manual says it needs 50" hearth. I'm new to all this woodstove stuff, and could use any tips directions as to how to proceed.
Any other stove ideas would help too. With oil so high, we've been freezing. House around 3000 sq ft. Thanks! Chimney liner ideas for a huge flue would also help us out.

To me it sounds like the F600 would fit fine. Since the unit will be for the most part in a masonry fireplace, clearances will be reduced on the side and in the back. You'll need 18 inches non-combustible in front of the stove, which you'll probably be able to do with a 49" hearth. Sounds like you'll need a 6" liner dropped in your flue. Others will surely respond with more technical expertise, but I think you're good to go with the F600. Nice stove, it will heat like crazy.

Welcome firefilly most stove stores will come to your house to see what you have to get done to pass code...once there you can pick their mind to see if you're up for a DIY install..

Thanks for the moral support. Just came back from seeing one of these stoves in person and learned a bit more. They sure seem solid. The trick will probably be in lining and topping the chimney with one (or multi) chimney caps. There are 4 other fireplaces that somehow share the chimney system, one of which we use daily...but how they all connect, and where they connect, will be the trick. I guess we need the building inspector to give us a read on setting up to code within the quirky layout. One guy told us we could use flex pipe, another said it should be insulation wrapped for MA code. But they all said because it was built before code, anything goes as to how it was built, and how to put a woodstove in it properly. Oh boy....No grandfather clauses I suppose?

just say'en...it's pretty incredible that the house is pre-revolutionary war and still standing.

What is the best way to insulate fireplace boxes that aren't used regularly. We improvise here but could use some direction. Oil up the chimney is no fun.

I'm glad it is still standing too! More character, more work, but usually worth it. The home has a central chimney with 5 fireplaces around it. 3 on first floor, 2 above in bedrooms. The woodstove will go in the central firebox downstairs (formally the kitchen in the old days). I picked that Jotul 600 on short research and if anyone can tell me of some better stove to heat this draughty home with I will definitely be all ears. We are insulating a bunch too this summer in order to fight the next harsh winter. Any suggestions, or lessons learned from past mistakes, would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here's the update. We installed a Jotul 6oo in October and let me tell you it is a great stove. Combining a delicious stove with refreshed insulation has made our lives much more comfortable and peaceful. We keep our thermostat set very low so there is less heat upstairs than my wildest dream, but I highly recommend this very well designed stove. And the insulation project continues...as we chase the drafts and block their favorite routes...things are slowly getting better. Stay warm everybody!!

Congratulations on your success so far. I for one would love to see some pictures of your stove, fireplace etcc.. Old New England houses are really impressive to say the least. Pretty impressive to me that they have survived given the harsh climates. A real testament to the stewardship of the owners through the years.

savageactor7 said:
just say'en...it's pretty incredible that the house is pre-revolutionary war and still standing.

Firefilly, I don't think your masonry chimney will be much of an issue. I'm in a 1740 colonial with the original chimney, and all it really needed was a 6" flex liner. Can you see separate clay lined flues at the top of the chimney? If so, then each fireplace is serviced by a separate flue. If not, this might still be the case, and you will need to find out for sure.

edit: should have read the entire thread. disregard.

The wide hearth for the Jotul 600 is because it has side loading. As an alternative, I'd also consider a front loader. The PE Alderlea T6 is available with a blower which may be very helpful in getting the heat out. Also, there are some nice soapstone stoves like the Hearthstone Mansfield that look great in old houses.

FYI- closed issue - they got their stove completed

Thanks Smoke-Stick. It helps to read the starting date doesn't it. Must have more coffee.

I for one would really enjoy seeing how blocking-off was accomplished above the stove, inside that huge fireplace. Did they put some big piece of sheetmetal across the whole opening? Photos please! :)

Yep, A big, insulated-above, blackened, sheet metal piece seals off the chimney. When looking at the wood stove you can't see it at all. It is nested just up out of view. I almost cried when they needed to take out the ancient damper system to do it right, and seal it tight. But now I'm a happy camper. Heat is the ultimate mood lifter! By the way, since the install, we've only stopped the fire one 65 degree day.

Status
Not open for further replies.