Trying to find a blower for old Regency R1 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OtherDave

Jan 8, 2013
Hi Everybody... brand new here! Hoping maybe somebody can help me. I'm trying to find a blower that will attach to my old Regency R1 stove.

I contacted Regency a couple of years ago and they were able to tell me:

"Bad news, production of the R1 stopped in 1986, that fan assembly is no longer available. The fan was a specialized one from Germany at that time and the location of the fan mounting clips you showed under the ash lip, no fan FPI has now would attach."

So, I was bummed. I tried to find something that would fit, but never found anything that looked promising. I found a few blower fans that looked like they might fit the spacing, but I don't think any of them came with the shroud/housing and I wasn't sure how/where to attach the thermostat and/or switch. Basically, I was totally lost.

I've got some friends who can do metal work, so I'm willing to look at a solution that requires some custom fabrication. But... I'm still nervous.

Here's a photo gallery of the Regency R1, spacing, and the clips (sorry for the poor quality on the clip photos).

http://imgur.com/a/Cx6PO#0

The clips are on the under side of the ash lip. The blower motor would be a side-by-side squirrel cage wheel that blows air into the underside of the stove. The air then travels up the back of the stove (in an air gap) and out the air gap at the top. I don't think I have a good photo of the air gap on the top, but it's the same proportions as the air gap on the sides.

Any help would be super, duper appreciated!

There are a number of FASCO double barrel fans that might fit in that space. Here is one from AMAZON:

http://www.amazon.com/Fireplace-Blower-GFK-160A-7002-1241-Replacement/dp/B000IGAM9U/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1357682692&sr=8-19&keywords=fasco fan assembly

Get all the dimensions of your space then find the fan that matches. Once you have the fan it should be fairly easy to fabricate brackets. Does the stove require a thermostat? Or would a switched, variable speed fan be OK. The fan listed above has the switches and wiring included and should be easy to work with.

Do you have access to the original manual? It may have some ideas for the mounting brackets and, if necessary, the snap disk location. Look for pictures of you unit via google, a visual might help your design also.

You can find most of the old regency manuals here:

http://www.regency-fire.com/Customer-Care/Manuals/Discontinued-Manuals.aspx

Reading through some of the manuals the older stoves did not have a thermostat.

KaptJaq

Graingers, Mcmaster-Carr, Burden Sales Corp.

I also have the Regency R1 fireplace insert. The blower needs replacing.
Did anyone find a blower that would work for this unit?

Hey folks. I just stumbled across this thread as well. I just purchased a home that has the R1 insert with no blower attached to it. I got the same message from Regency, it's obsolete and there are no parts for it. Did anyone have any luck matching a universal type blower to this unit? Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.