trying to find out what kind of wood I have

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hensonconst1

Jan 10, 2009
Western KY
I cut down a tree last week in Kentucky for someone and kept the wood for burning in the future but noone that I talked to can tell me what kind it is. It had leaves that looked kind of like a maple leaf but was 3X larger. It is green color in the center and has white runny sap. The bark resembles hickory. Does anyone know what it is?

any pic's!

I don't know. this subject has cause great debate with my family the the homeowner and neighbors. One said it was a pesimmon another said sycamore, but there were no pesimmons on the ground and the other guy is the cityboy homeowner. Sorry no pics I don't have that technology yet

Difficult to say, but it does sound somewhat like sycamore. You can tell that just by its bark though. It looks sick is the way most describe it.

Sounds like Sycamore from your leaf description.

Sweet gums do not have an extremely large leaf. At least the 3 in my back yard in Houston didn't. They also threw the most annoying little spiky balls down into the yard every year. I cut them down after the first year. Unfortunately a neighbor on one side liked the dang things.

Matt

Sycamore tree has a leaf that looks a little like maple, but I can't imagine anyone confusing sycamore bark with hickory. Sweet gum has a 5-fingered leaf that looks a little like maple, but never seen one that big.

You might try posting up some pics of the leaves and bark or :

http://www.oplin.org/tree/

Status
Not open for further replies.