Trying to fix-patch a C-Cast baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
WOW ! Why didn't I think of that, so simple a fix permitting the continued use of the C-Cast baffle even if it is in 2 sections, incredibly so inexpensive also. I also see a benefit to the stainless support for the C-Cast baffle which may just help a wee bit in increasing the temperature up there promoting even hotter and cleaner secondary burns.

Congrats on the simple solution.

Last edited:
Before you go and throw that c-cast away, you might want to try to do a repair of it. I would try to repair the c-cast with kiln repair cement. You may have to redo the repair each time you remove the baffle, but it beats the cost of a new OEM part. Do a search for kiln repair cement.

That should work. The front bend is just what I was suggesting for stiffening. Is it bent up on the rear edge too? Are you going to attach it to the c-cast panels or just let them float?

Keep us posted on how this works out.

The baffle rests on the stainless-floating. When I was looking at new baffles, the instructions from Hearthstone said that the new replacement is cut in half at a 45 degree angle and when installing to join the halves with stove cement. I am happy with this fix and the back side is not bent as is the front. I'm going to change out the gaskets now and not use the garbage liquid gasket glue that came in the gasket kit, instead I use Meecos black high temp silicone.

I just fired up the Bennington tonight, it's radically different than my last few stoves in a good way. The baffle repair is solid and is doing its job.

Tomorrow my plan is to clean out the squirrel cages on the blower kit, it's full of crud now. There is little doubt that this stove is radiating a lot more that what my Alderlea did and I was under the impression the Bennington is considered to be a convection stove.

Here's how it came out.

Attachments

• IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1220.JPG
    IMG_1220.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 162
The Bennington construction is much more radiant by design than the Alderlea. It would be more comparable to the Jotul F600 in that respect. The Alderlea is a cast iron jacketed stove as opposed to a cast iron body stove.