Trying to meet minimum clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vman99761

Jan 17, 2018
Eugene, Or
Im trying to meet min. Clearance for a freedom insert. My fireplace is in the corner with brick facing. I have 13" from the brick facing and 17" from the drywall. My understanding from the specs is i will need 15" from the bricks. I was thinking of removing the brick facing to gain the space i need. To remove brick and leave just drywall seems counterproductive to me but i guess it is all in the spacing. Does anyone have a suggestion or idea? I was also thinking of off centering the insert to gain the clearance. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20180117_183008.jpg
    20180117_183008.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 213
Look over the manual closely. I believe it's 15" from the insert door (or approx where the surround meets the insert) to the actual drywall. Also you need 13.5" from the insert door to the side facing (where the bricks 90 degree). Also even with the flush kit, you need 17 5/8" hearth extension depth.

http://www.lopistoves.com/TravisDocs/100-01162.pdf

Ok that means i dont have enough clearance unless i remove the brick on the side or if i can move the insert to the right inside the fireplace.

You may be fine. The clearance listed is to the nearest combustible, which would be the drywall behind the brick. The brick actually adds additional protection. If you are unsure, give us a sketch that show the dimensions of the fireplace opening and distance from the opening to the brick on the left side.

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 12.43.08 PM.png

Ok i wasnt sure if that 15" was from the drywall or brick. So by my calculations the insert will be aprox. 17.25" from the drywall and 13.25 to the brick that is in front of the drywall. So i have to move it to the right a half inch or so and it should be good.
I was worried that the brick needed 15" so it wouldnt conduct the heat in to the drywall.

Thanks everyone for your help

Attachments

• 20180118_132521.jpg
    20180118_132521.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 146
Ok i wasnt sure if that 15" was from the drywall or brick. So by my calculations the insert will be aprox. 17.25" from the drywall and 13.25 to the brick that is in front of the drywall. So i have to move it to the right a half inch or so and it should be good.
I was worried that the brick needed 15" so it wouldnt conduct the heat in to the drywall.

Thanks everyone for your help
Looks like 12" in your drawing unless that is the firebox opening and not the stove itself.

And yes, the measurement is from the combustible surface not the brick in front of it.

Looks like 12" in your drawing unless that is the firebox opening and not the stove itself.

And yes, the measurement is from the combustible surface not the brick in front of it.
Yes, 12" from the fireplace opening, you are ok. Looks like 16.5" from the stove body to the wall.

Last edited:
I still need to re-arrange the room and add the hearth extension . I will also be using a mantel shield until i add more brick facing. A little work but i think it will be worth it. Everything will meet min clearance now. Thanks for the help

You also might want to move the tv further away once this is done.