Trying to replace old metal lined fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 23, 2011
KS
I assume it's either a heatilator or heatform but I don't know the difference. Is it safe to remove the metal walls inside, it isn't structural I assume. What will be behind the metal? Best ways to remove metal inside? What would it take afterwards to put a stove inside, just tile it?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201104_130159775.jpg
    IMG_20201104_130159775.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_20201104_130343742.jpg
    IMG_20201104_130343742.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_20201104_130110342.jpg
    IMG_20201104_130110342.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_20201104_125944209.jpg
    IMG_20201104_125944209.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 383
I assume it's either a heatilator or heatform but I don't know the difference. Is it safe to remove the metal walls inside, it isn't structural I assume. What will be behind the metal? Best ways to remove metal inside? What would it take afterwards to put a stove inside, just tile it?

Thanks
Why would you have to remove it to put a stove or insert in the fireplace?

Why would you have to remove it to put a stove or insert in the fireplace?

It puts out no heat, my father has a similar fireplace and works well but mine never has. Plus they're so inefficient and it's pretty ugly right in the middle of my house.

It puts out no heat, my father has a similar fireplace and works well but mine never has. Plus they're so inefficient and it's pretty ugly right in the middle of my house.
So are you planning on removing all of the stone as well?

I Think Bholler is saying you don't have to pull the metal firebox to put a wood stove insert in the fireplace. I don't know about what to do with the doors and such.

Edit: Most people remove or modify the damper to run a liner up the flue.

A stove won't fit with the metal liner. The top angles in a bunch and it's not deep enough. It drops down about 4 inches right inside the doors and it would have to fit inside there or my opening wouldn't be tall enough.

A stove won't fit with the metal liner. The top angles in a bunch and it's not deep enough. It drops down about 4 inches right inside the doors and it would have to fit inside there or my opening wouldn't be tall enough.
You can cut it out usually. But it depends upon the unit how much room that will gain you. Is it the box that drops down or is it the lintel?

Are you looking at a stove or an insert?

Nothing will fit in with it, plus the damper has to be removed to run a liner.
This is a pretty common procedure. The damper just gets cut out. Often, there are stoves or inserts that fit. What are the full dimensions of the fireplace? H + W + D?

I think a stove will actually fit better. I'm not sure if it's only the liner that drops. I don't know what's behind it.
Be aware that putting a stove inside the fireplace generally doesn't work as well as an insert which is designed to chanel the heat out the front

I do appreciate all the help. A small insert will fit, but not one big enough for my room size. Plus it drops down right past the doors so if have to build up the floor to make it level

I do appreciate all the help. A small insert will fit, but not one big enough for my room size. Plus it drops down right past the doors so if have to build up the floor to make it level
Wouldn't you want to build it up for a stove as well? If only a small insert will fit how will using a stove change that?

I'd put a stove pipe through the stone up where that saw blade is more or less (or wherever makes the most sense). Run a liner from there. Cover the fireplace opening with same stone. Is the hearth deep enough for a stove to sit? A nice big Jotul would look nice.

Wouldn't you want to build it up for a stove as well? If only a small insert will fit how will using a stove change that?
I'm not opposed to an insert, and if I can remove the metal liner and it's not so angled inside I can fit a big insert, which I would be fine with. I mostly was just hoping someone had some information on removing my current fireplace. I've found some older posts on here about removing a similar fireplace to mine.

I'm not opposed to an insert, and if I can remove the metal liner and it's not so angled inside I can fit a big insert, which I would be fine with. I mostly was just hoping someone had some information on removing my current fireplace. I've found some older posts on here about removing a similar fireplace to mine.
It can be done yes. I cut out 3 or 4 a year to replace with a masonry firebox. I have it down pretty good and can typically have one out in roughly 2 hours. For your first one I would expect atleast 4 hours. But it is a loud nasty dirty job. It would be a last resort for me.

Reactions: SpaceBus
So they aren't structural correct? I have an oxy acetylene torch that would probably work fairly well.
They shouldn't be. That doesn't mean they aren't. A torch will fill your house with smoke just so you know. I used a torch on one never again after paying the cleaning bill

Yes they can be cut out. I have a similar open fireplace, which someone put gas logs in. I just tore them out and cut the metal box out, I ordered a Quadrafire expedition 2 insert. The dealer/installer wanted 200$ extra to cut the heat form out, and maybe I should’ve went that way, lol. It’s very dirty, I had to sit in the fireplace to get to it. Took me a couple of hours. I’ll try to attach some before and after pics

Attachments

• 10AC34DD-7E29-491F-A88E-1FBF788A8514.jpeg
    10AC34DD-7E29-491F-A88E-1FBF788A8514.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 447
  • FA1E7664-811F-41C0-B27A-7CE9214BD10F.jpeg
    FA1E7664-811F-41C0-B27A-7CE9214BD10F.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 431
  • C6E6A161-5A1C-4230-8732-0099F8D1C786.jpeg
    C6E6A161-5A1C-4230-8732-0099F8D1C786.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 377
  • 3081496C-501E-42E0-AF51-158486EA8780.jpeg
    3081496C-501E-42E0-AF51-158486EA8780.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 382
  • C00E3277-6E2C-47AC-BB4F-F933C3159EFE.jpeg
    C00E3277-6E2C-47AC-BB4F-F933C3159EFE.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 440
Please document the process and post it up here. I cleaned up the previous homeowner's attempt to DIY it, and covered it up with more of a mess. I had a mason repair every thing after checking that it was still structurally sound. He said to ensure the structure was sound because the heat form design was for masons that did not know how to construct a chimney without a steel template to hold things up as they were building. the advice above is straight from a chimney pro. I'm just giving my opinion as a guy who had to pay to have the work done (and glad I did).

@Ksuwildcat2010 - that fire place is too grand to be fumbled around with, I'd leave the thing alone for now, install a freestanding woodstove on its own class a chimney somewhere else, then revisit the possibility of a small insert with an insulated liner for the fireplace, looking at the vaulted ceilings it looks like your going to need a bigger stove and more stabile heating then a small insert to accomplish the heating with wood goal.