Trying to replace old metal lined fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My clay flue is plenty big, I don't know if that will help much but it's outside dimensions are 13x18
Nope it has to come off. If it is that long it will probably need cut into pieces do you can move it

Could he rope pull the liner up without removal? Seems worth a try.

Could he rope pull the liner up without removal? Seems worth a try.
Maybe if he drills a hole in the cap to pull through. But 10" is pretty low as well

Can I get away without a rain cap since my chimney is capped already? I could always put a screen around it to keep animals out.
Yes you can. But I am worried that at 10" once you put the top plate and support collar on you won't have enough room for it to draft properly

I'm finishing up almost this exact project, except I installed a hearth pad & am putting the stove in front of the opening. Posting a thread about it today.

Yes you can. But I am worried that at 10" once you put the top plate and support collar on you won't have enough room for it to draft properly

What would you say is the minimum? I could cut out the top of the clay flue liner, that would give me a couple more inches.

Angle grinder with a masonry wheel and an oscillating multi tool with a masonry blade. Cut the mortar, pull the liner up, when if you choose to mortar the slate back on. I'd probably leave it off and put a standard cap on.
It is a 6' long by atleast 2' wide concrete slab. It will need to.be cut into pieces to move it. Probably with a demo saw

It is a 6' long by atleast 2' wide concrete slab. It will need to.be cut into pieces to move it. Probably with a demo saw

In that case I'd get a masonry blade for a 7.25 circular saw and rip a seam an inch in from the right side of that photo, leave enough so you can stick it back on and it will have something to bite on. Then use the angle grinder & multi tool to remove the mortar under that piece over the liner. You can reinstall after with mortar. Not sure if I can post links to home depot here but search for "7 in. Concrete and Brick Diamond Circular Saw Blade"

*No matter what it's going to be difficult and take some time.

Well I'm still working on my install. Is a block off plate necessary for me? My chimney is in the middle of my house and only has about 4ft above my insulated ceiling. I am running an insulated liner and my top plate I added some insulation to as well. Thanks

Well I got it drug up through my chimney without pulling the cap. Used this winch setup I made that worked really well. Just 2 people I managed it and it was very heavy wall liner, .016.

Attachments

• IMG_20201222_113913408_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201222_113913408_HDR.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 164
Finally finished. Long process but I'm very happy with it. Now just to fire it up.

Attachments

• IMG_20210109_201023079_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210109_201023079_HDR.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 164
Well done and A+ for an impressive solution for pulling up the liner. It looks great.

Reactions: Ksuwildcat2010
I'll provide one last update. I burned it all day yesterday and was going to let it go out overnight since the next day was supposed to be pretty warm. I'm burning very well seasoned hedge (osage orange) and put one large round that barely fit and a smaller round and still had room for another smaller piece but didn't put it in. I loaded it at 4:30 pm and at 10:30 am and next day I'm still in the active range for my catalytic converter and have visible red coals without raking it. So 18 hours is pretty dang good. So far very happy with my Kuma Cascade Le.

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_101140370_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210110_101140370_HDR.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: moresnow