TSC Huskee 22 Ton Log Splitter BS Engine Oil Drain Plug

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenLockett

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2011
Eastern Upstate NY
Looking to change my engine oil on the BS engine for the first time and according to the manual there are three methods to draining the oil. (1) From a bottom drain plug and/or (2) From a side drain plug or (3) From the top oil fill port. Well, it doesn't seem practical to tilt the entire splitter on it's side for drain purposes so that leaves either of the drain plugs that according to the manual one or the other or both are present. The bottom plug does not seem accessible based upon the drive shaft location although I didn't look for the bottom plug. I did see what I think is the side plug but I'll be darn if the center line of the plug appears to be blocked by the red mounting plate for the engine mount to the splitter! Can anyone out there with the Huskee 22 ton splitter with the Briggs and Stratton engine educate me on how best to drain the oil in this thing?

Lift the splitter by the tongue until it sets on the end of the beam.
Now you can get to the bottom plug.
Loosen it and set the splitter back down to drain the oil.

It is a PITA to change the oil on it, awful design. Since mine burns a good amount oil, don't feel too bad going long between changes since I am always adding new stuff.

Cut two slots in the mounting plate about a 1/2" wide just in front of the side drain. Bend it back, clearing the side drain to a 3/8" extension. Tilt the engine to drain it completely. Once cut and bent back, it's a 5 minute job to drain the oil. A once a year duty.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: osagebow
When I changed the oil in mine the first time, I put on a couple of street elbows, a short piece of pipe, and a cap, to make it much easier and cleaner the next time.

When I changed the oil in mine the first time, I put on a couple of street elbows, a short piece of pipe, and a cap, to make it much easier and cleaner the next time.
So when empty with plug removed you added the short section of pipe with elbows and I assume cap for easier drain next time. I also presume you added the extra oil quantity to fill this pipe elbow section as well? Thanks.

Yep. I don't have it here, but IIRC when pulling the plug out the oil runs straight down on the axle/hyd tank. The elbows offset it to drain straight into a pan.

I suppose it takes a few more tablespoons of oil. I add till it's at the full mark.

I'm assuming we're taking about the vertical shaft BS. I think it's changed to a horizontal shaft now, Kohler maybe? Haven't looked at one in a while.

Yep. I don't have it here, but IIRC when pulling the plug out the oil runs straight down on the axle/hyd tank. The elbows offset it to drain straight into a pan.

I suppose it takes a few more tablespoons of oil. I add till it's at the full mark.

I'm assuming we're taking about the vertical shaft BS. I think it's changed to a horizontal shaft now, Kohler maybe? Haven't looked at one in a while.
Yes I have the BS vertical shaft. Looks like it will drain right onto the axle/hyd tank. Will definitely look into this but of course it looks like the first drain is definitely going to be messy. Do you recall by any chance what size and thread type the original plug is? Would like to have the threaded pipe and elbows on hand after I drain so I can assemble right away. Thanks.

I *think* it's 1/4" npt. My splitter has been at my sister's house for the last year or so, or I would take a look.

Yes the drain plug is 1/4" npt. I thought about putting an extension on mine, but I didn't want anymore stuff hanging off this thing that could be broken off. I take mine in the woods and can see it breaking and draining the oil. I change mine once a year and it takes me about 20 seconds to hit the plug with the extension. I can live with it the way it is, but if this engine ever blows it is getting a horizontal shaft fabbed in it's place.

Reactions: KenLockett
Status
Not open for further replies.