TSC SPLITTER JUNK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabbers

Oct 15, 2008
NE OHIO
I bought a TSC (HUSKEE) 34 ton splitter 2 Decembers ago. I got a good deal on it because the beam had to be replaced it was used very little. The foot on the beam is bent again but it is covered under warranty. The foot on the beam is very thick I can't see how it happened. Is there a problem with all horizontal/vertical splitters. I was thinking about getting a 30 ton northern tool splitter with a 4 way wedge.

What the heck are you splitting? I have a speeco (same brand) that is a 22 ton with the larger resivior, never a problem...

Got me a 22 ton huskee about 5 years ago and abuse the hell out of it and she loves it!
I could sell it for almost what I paid for it.
I wouldn't invest in another until you figure out what happened to this one.

I have only used the splitter in the vertical option twice splitting some oak about 18 - 24" thats it. I've only split 10 cords of wood. I would like to sell this splitter and get something else.

When I see those at TSC, I always wonder how the 22 and the 34 can have such a similar amount of steel in the frame given the hydraulic power difference. Seems that the hydraulics should stop moving before the frame fails.

SolarAndWood said:
When I see those at TSC, I always wonder how the 22 and the 34 can have such a similar amount of steel in the frame given the hydraulic power difference. Seems that the hydraulics should stop moving before the frame fails.

what do you mean? the i beam?? or the frame they both sit on? the 35 ton beam is way bigger than the 22

No, the foot. That big I-beam means that it doesn't give and either the cylinder mount or the foot does.

If I were you I would contact the manufacturer, Speeco. They have excellent customer service and probably would be willing to work with you on it.

Wasn't there a thread here very recently detailing 2 beams at a TSC that both had the same issue? Could this be the weak link in the Speeco splitters?

It's probably a chinese cast using scrap metal.
If you like it otherwise, take it to a welder for a new foot.

Jabbers said:
The foot on the beam is bent again but it is covered under warranty...
Replace it then under warranty and sell it if you're worried it'll break again and no longer be covered under warranty. So far I've only heard about speeco having a problem with the foot but thought it was related to bad welding, not bending.

per another thread either here or another sight, bypass pressure not set right or not working correctly

speeco does have excellent cs... i second getting it fixed and then selling.... heck, they probably will pay to get wleded or send a new beam which would cost more.... i would get it welded beyond super strength sell the beam.. or just ask them to pay for weld

foot is bent not broken would have to be cut off and a new piece welded on. chances are if you put a straight edge on the beam you will see that it is also bowed 1/16 to 1/8 over the length of the splitting area. If the beam is not bowed then the welds for the foot are suspect at this point as they have been over stressed. Frankly to get this type of damage the relief pressure is set to high on the bypass valve, the ram should stall before this happens.

blades said:
foot is bent not broken would have to be cut off and a new piece welded on. chances are if you put a straight edge on the beam you will see that it is also bowed 1/16 to 1/8 over the length of the splitting area. If the beam is not bowed then the welds for the foot are suspect at this point as they have been over stressed. Frankly to get this type of damage the relief pressure is set to high on the bypass valve, the ram should stall before this happens.

my friend bent/broke his foot plate on a 25 ton mtd...... at the time we were splitting i kept telling him that 1) his splitter wasnt level (it kept raising up off the ground on 1 side) and 2) the footplate wasnt flat.... we had some moster pieces that def slowed the splitter but they split then we heard the CRACK...and sure enough there it was... no he has split wood but no more than 15 cords with splitter..... i believe that in this case it was operator error... his welder looked at it and was surprised the hoses didnt blow....... but as i said i believe it was his fault for how he was operating it.... we dont know in this case ... but if what you say is true with the relief vavle that should def be covered by warranty!

So you're saying because the splitter wasn't lever that was negligence? I dunno Ice... not to be disagreeable but I would blame the junk foreign steel.

savageactor7 said:
not to be disagreeable but I would blame the junk foreign steel.

+1 and not enough of it for the hydraulics the marketing people wanted on it.

savageactor7 said:
So you're saying because the splitter wasn't lever that was negligence? I dunno Ice... not to be disagreeable but I would blame the junk foreign steel.

i dont know whos fault it is....just that when my friends broke (right before) one side of the splitter was lifting up in the air every time the ram came down ..... and we were doing some monster pieces.... maybe thats why splitters say you can do 25" long and up 24" in dia?? just a thought...
in my friends though i have never seen one side of a splitter so high off the ground... and yes when the foot broke it was clear it started from that side..... i believe in his case it had something to do with it because those pieces were monsters... and his mtd didnt have the solid plate like the huskee..... but i dunno who is really at fault, just throwing it out there

Is there a pressure relief valve on this rig? Is it defective? Is it not adjusted properly? If this unit was sold assembled, a pressure relief valve stall test should be part of the check list before it was put on the floor.

No hydraulic machine should be able to self-destruct, not even if you're trying to split cast iron.
The only thing you should be able to do to it is burn the hydraulic fluid from continually running it stalled. No machine is stupid-proof but I don't think tough splitting is to blame.

I've had other splitters one was hard to start in the winter and the other is from 1978 but is slow. These splitters held up fine I've been running a splitter since i was 4yrs old. I'm 36 yrs old now.

I mainly split horizontal but when i do split verticle the foot is level and the wheels have never come off the ground.

Jabbers said:
I mainly split horizontal but when i do split verticle the foot is level and the wheels have never come off the ground.

If someone's wheels are coming off the ground, the log isn't on the foot.
If you can't figure that out, you shouldn't be using a splitter.

I have been using a 25 yr old splitter think its northern tool not sure but it does have a central hydraulics cylinder these are pretty basic machines I dont knoe what the diameter limits are bu ive split anything that would fit in it vertical horizontal inverted whatever it has never shown any signs of flexing bending or any other structural failure once a year or two ago the collar welded to the wedge where the pison is pinnet to it cracked and began to move a bit so we cleaned it up and welded it been fine ever since. its on its third engine firs was a 5 or 5.5 briggs splitter got turned over in the woods and broke the carb off (my fault) after we sonic welded the aluminum block where it broke off that engine only lasted 8 or 9 years after that i think it ran lean and killed itself. then came the briggs 3.5 that only lasted about 3 years it was stupid weak but oak isnt much of a challenge. Then we were tuning it up one day and a neghbor happend by the shop and said hey ive got a good 5.5 honda if you want it its been on there about 3 years and man its a beast honda engines rock. Too bad they dont build aircraft engines.

Sorry i got off piont
If it bent under any circumstances (besides maybe coming unhooked from your truck at interstate speeds) SELL IT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.