Tuck pointing old chimney help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yankeesouth

Feb 9, 2011
Southwestern PA
I have an old large chimney at my cabin. (Very large stones like an old building foundation.) It is need of some TLC, tuck pointing to be exact. My question is…..is there a good box store product for this? I want to make sure it is weather/water proof. I am sure there are mason’s that know of some complex mixtures….I am looking for a good DIY type of product. Something that will do the job but not too complex.

What type of stone is it? And is the old mortar disintegrating into sand?

How is the condition of the stones? Faces or edges spalling or popping off?

Typically you want the thing holding the stones together to be softer then the stones, problem is that sandstone is pretty soft and just about any cement based mortar is harder then it. That would leave lime based mortar but that is not a premix that you buy in a big box store.

If you do go the big-box cement based mortar, use the Type-N premix mortar. Its a lot softer then the Type-S

Avoid big box, go to a masonry supply place.

Status
Not open for further replies.