Turning off the predictive text feature that recently appeared

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
In the last few days when I am composing text, there will be a ghosted image appear to the right of where I am typing which is trying to guess what the next word I will be typing. It doesnt happen all the time but just enough to annoy me. Occasionally a ghosted tab key will appear after the guess and if I push the tab key it accepts the guess. My guess is its bleed through feature from someone typing from a cell phone.

Is there any way to turn this feature off? It is really annoying.

I haven’t seen it while on my phone. Generally the auto complete feature is OS or application and not a website. I could be totally wrong. Did you update your OS or browser recently?

Reactions: stoveliker
I am going through a nightmare with Spectrum right now where they had me swap out a modem and the new unit will not talk to my router and wireless network so I have to run directly off the model to my laptop but the OS and browser (Edge)is the same.

I, too, believe that is a browser feature and not a Hearth.com feature. I don't always see it depending on what I am doing or the website I am on (even here), but when I see it, it drives me crazy. (It seems to come and go...just like my cap-lock tone) What web browser are you using. I use Edge.

Edit: Saw your reply above after I posted. I see you are using Edge, too. Most folks don't like Edge, but I have gotten so used to it, I don't like it when I try a new browser....teach an old dog new tricks type of thing.

For the last 15 years I have been using my laptop that had to play with corporate IT systems and when they did remote support they usually wanted to me to use Edge so I put up with it. With my recent retirement that is no longer an issue so I may find another browser but this feature just started appearing.

That is indeed not a website issue but a browser one.

Thanks, I tried the above and its still there after restarting browser. :confused: