Two different creosote concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
I noticed today that I had some dirty icicles hanging from the masonary chimney. So, I climb on the roof to take a look at what is going on. It appears that the rain cap is condensing everything and then the condensation runs to the outside edge of the cap and drips onto the top plate of the liner and then drips down the existing masonary chimney. What is everyone's thoughts on me just removing the rain cap during the heating season? I've been burning 24/7 for around 1-1/2 monthes now and there is no significant build up in my liner. At least twice a day I get the temps up to ~400-450 on the magnetic thermometer (which should equal ~800 degrees inside the single wall) and I keep it at ~200 during the normal burn (should equal ~400 degrees).

The second issue I have is something I noticed when I opened the door to load the furnace. The door is not perfectly adjusted, so it is off on the one side. On the side it is shifted on, I noticed that the gasket seems to be blackened on one edge and on the mating surface there is a thin layer of black glaze (it burns off easily when I bring the stove up to the temps I mentioned earlier). Is this really a cause for concern? I was going to let the fire go out overnight tonight and then in the morning tweak the door and install a new gasket. I figured I would also run the brush down the liner since it would be cool enough not to melt the poly. (This would be a good time to leave the cap off......)

I too would be interested in hearing folks opinions about removing the chimney cap. I am having a similar situation, and someone told me I could remove it for the winter. I'd be surprised if the people here had an opportunity to voice an opinion and didn't take it.

Removing it could be tough......because there is no where in most lining jobs for the water to go from rain/snow. However, if the job has a tee at the bottom and the clean out is not well sealed, it might be possible.

A better idea might be to install a much less restrictive cap....even a DIY one....something like a regular shanty cap but lifted up a little higher. This might let a lot of the smoke dissipate before condensing.

I suppose you might be having more of a problem than many others due to the non-epa stove (more creosote).

It is always good to make sure the gasket seals fairly well, but with a furnace a certain amount of idle air is needed anyway, so it is unlikely that small leaks are affecting your performance with that model.

I'll maybe take a look at trying to modify the current cap and see what I can come up with.

I'll keep an eye on the door gaskets, but next time the stove is cold, I'll tweak the door and replace the gasket anyway.

Well, one of the legs of the caps actually broke off, so I had to get a new one. Actually, the company I bought the liner kit from is sending me a new one free of charge (they have been great to deal with!). I'm going to get the Dremel out and see if I can't cut a little off the overhang and then free up some other space so the smoke has less to condense on. We'll see how that works out. Otherwise, I'm going to start making my own.

Has anyone ever heard of or used one of these? http://mainlymetals.com/turbo_top.html
I don't have a draft problem, but the design looks enticing for my condensation and dripping issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.