Two flues and a hole in the side?!?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newbieinnc

May 24, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I have a rental home that has two flues in the chimney, and some kind of pipe coming out of the side of the fireplace. Here is a screenshot of both the flues and the hole: https://www.screencast.com/t/FWmf1ibmtrG

I have two questions:
  1. Does anyone know what this hole is, and more importantly, how I can cover it up?!?!
  2. Does anyone know how I can cover the top of the chimney? The flue doesn't have a profile above the crown that I can attach a flue cover to.
Many thanks!

I have a rental home that has two flues in the chimney, and some kind of pipe coming out of the side of the fireplace. Here is a screenshot of both the flues and the hole: https://www.screencast.com/t/FWmf1ibmtrG

I have two questions:
  1. Does anyone know what this hole is, and more importantly, how I can cover it up?!?!
  2. Does anyone know how I can cover the top of the chimney? The flue doesn't have a profile above the crown that I can attach a flue cover to.
Many thanks!
Looks like it might be set up to connect a freestanding stove to the side thimble.

it is a crock to connect an appliance to the other flue. They make different covers for them the simplest way would be stuff it with insulation then get a simple metal cover around here they are called pie plate covers and are available at most hardware stores. Also it looks like the insert has no liner attached to it making it unsafe to use.

Chase Cover 1 Rectangle Hole.jpg

You could use a 1 hole Chase Cover, to cover the top of the chimney and install a cap on the one flue. The second hole in the chimney would be covered with the stainless chase cover