Two foot lengths--cut in half or off center?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darl Bundren

Jan 9, 2008
WNC
I just had a large white oak taken down in my yard, and the tree guys cut the trunk into approximately two foot sections. My stoves take 16" lengths. Any advice on cutting into 1' lengths? Or should I cut to 16" and 8"? Seems like the 8" lengths would be unstackable.

What's it take N/S? Also could cut to 16" and two left over 8"s will stack doubled up as 16".

Reactions: gerry100
Myself, I would cut it 16's and 8's (inches of course), and just pile the 8's by themselves. You can burn off the stubby guys in early winter or spring, or those times you just need a blip of heat. I always come home with 8-10 stubby chunks when out cutting wood. If I touch it with a saw, and it's big as half a loaf of bread, it's coming home.:)

I would go 16"s and 8"s. The 8's could go north to south while the 16's could go east to west. When stacking, just mix the 8's in. Two 8's every little bit. I do that when necessary myself and it works out well.

Thats a bummer on such nice wood.
But I would go with 16"-8" also. Salvage as many normal lengths as you can. It will be some of your best firewood. Use the less desirable ends as the cut off ends.

16 and 8. Just double stack the 8's. Someone might have said that. Good idea anyway

Yeah, bummer.
How big was the oak ? Could be lots of 8"s huh ? A tough length to stack nicely.
I take shorties/ cut-offs and pitch them in UBC crates. Even oak seasons in about a year (2015 was a wet year though) when C/S <8". But that might be a lot of 8"s.
16 and 8. Just double stack the 8's.
I like this idea, all things considered.
  • What's the diameter of log ? You could split off edges and noodle some of the 8"s for a few more longer lengths. They'd dry quickly. A bit more work and lots of little pieces.
  • Might want to go for some mix of 16"|8" AND 12"s ?

Cut a few in half and burn them as twelves. And come back in a couple of years when you burn them and thank me. >>

I like to have as many full-length splits as possible so I can fill the stove, especially when it's primo wood that I'll be burning when it gets cold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.