Two Thermostats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig Lady

Hearth Supporter
The Quadrafire is keeping the living room warm. The heat trickles into the adjoining rooms.
The LP furnace kicks in when it runs out of pellets.
The two thermostats are mounted on the same wall in a hallway off of the living room.

While the pellet stove is doing it's job, the LP furnace won't come on, of course because it's warm up here, even though the rest of the house is freezing. The LP furnace also provides heat to the basement with one small vent directly off of the furnace, and with a cold basement the floors up here are really cold to walk on. The basement is also my laundry room and woodworking shop, and it's really cold down there.

At first I thought I would close off some of the vents up here, but that won't work either, I don't think?

My question is, how can I relocate the thermostats, or do something, so that the LP furnace still works some times (even while the pellet stove is working) to heat up the basement, but will still kick in full time while I'm out trucking for 16 hours and the pellets run out. I'm a truck driver and have to be away longer than the pellets last. I live in Northern Minnesota and have to be sure that stuff doesn't freeze. Maybe I should just get a little heater for the basement?

Thanks in advance for any good advice you can provide.

Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.