Type 2 stove and type 1 hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RyanTW

Jan 4, 2021
Coventry CT
Hi guys, I just went to return a 54x54 type 1 hearth pad to exchange it for a type 2. My stove requires a thermal protected barrier with an R value of 1.4. The stove dealer said that I would have no problem with the hearth pad I chose. Against my conscience, I came back home with the same type 1 pad because they didn't have a type 2 in stock. Has anyone ever had any issues ever with using a type 1 pad and a stove requiring thermal protection? FYI: This is a US2000-bp stove.

What is the hearth pad make and model?

It's an american Panel custom hearth. The damn thing weights at least 150 lbs. I would return the stove but I already threw all the packaging away.

Here it is in all its glory

Attachments

• 16102307605011997683115812256042.jpg
    16102307605011997683115812256042.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 158
depending on which model it might be ok. Looks like some of them are pretty high R value

with the poor quality of us stoves brand I would be very very careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an american Panel custom hearth. The damn thing weights at least 150 lbs. I would return the stove but I already threw all the packaging away.
Is it 1" thick? It looks like one of their traditional pads which are all rated Type 2. According to their website only the flat metal pads are type 1.

Is it 1" thick? It looks like one of their traditional pads which are all rated Type 2. According to their website only the flat metal pads are type 1.

It's an older model. Apparently they changed the substrate since this one was built. I talked to the manufacturer and they confirmed this.

What did they say the construction is of this older model? I you want to keep it you could put a layer of 1/2" micore under it to raise the insulation value. Or change the stove. Many modern stoves only need ember protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shrewboy
What did they say the construction is of this older model? I you want to keep it you could put a layer of 1/2" micore under it to raise the insulation value. Or change the stove. Many modern stoves only need ember protection.
They didn't say what it was.
That's a good idea about the micore. I was planning on building it up on a pedestal so I could incorporate that into the pedestal build.

Thank you very much!