Types of brick for hearth pad.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brady buttars

Nov 16, 2013
Idaho
I believe I selected the wrong type of brick for my hearth pad I'm building. I went to a local brickyard and told the woman at the counter what I was doing and how many SQ. Feet I needed. Now I'm to the point where I need to start laying the brick and it dawned on me. I can't have the brick laying how I want it on the bottom pad. It has 3 holes that will be facing up. I could lay it horizontally but I want to keep the whole design as uniform as I can.

I'm doing some research on types of bricks. I'm coming up with structural ingredients mostly. But I was wondering if someone could help me straighten this all out and make sure I understand it correctly.

Just to clarify I got a couple hundred of these puppies.
CADImgFull_COM_2_1_4_Modular.jpg

Looks like you got cored brick and you wanted solid brick. Solid bricks are available (be sure to specify 100% solid as I think the spec for 'solid' actually allows holes as long as they are <25% of the area) though, the specific pattern you have now may or may not be available in sold.

I believe I selected the wrong type of brick for my hearth pad I'm building. I went to a local brickyard and told the woman at the counter what I was doing and how many SQ. Feet I needed. Now I'm to the point where I need to start laying the brick and it dawned on me. I can't have the brick laying how I want it on the bottom pad. It has 3 holes that will be facing up. I could lay it horizontally but I want to keep the whole design as uniform as I can.

I'm doing some research on types of bricks. I'm coming up with structural ingredients mostly. But I was wondering if someone could help me straighten this all out and make sure I understand it correctly.

Just to clarify I got a couple hundred of these puppies. View attachment 117883
you could always go to a stone yard and get some bluestone.. should run about $5/foot and and return the excess brick
a good stone place will have it pre-cut in various sizes and will have standard (thinner) and thermal (heat treated, more uniform thickness and bluer color - twice the price as standard in these parts)

the contrast between brick and stone will look good

If you want solid brick, I think you have to ask for "pavers".

Status
Not open for further replies.