types of cherry..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitoak

Nov 6, 2013
Jefferson Co, WV
This kind of sparked my interest....a previous thread about cutting down a cherry tree...the type he cut down didnt look anything like the types of cherry i have cut up so far......so it just so happens i took a pic of the two types growing right beside each other...the one on rhe left has a paper type bark..the other is more of a shag bark..both very destinctive...so begs the question what are the two types? Or are they the same?

Attachments

• 20140326_131340.jpg
    20140326_131340.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: Soundchasm
Yep, lots more variety in nature than you'd think. I doubt there's a noticeable difference in BTU output, maybe a little more from the rougher bark ;lol

Reactions: splitoak
Black Cherry is native to the US. Sweet Cherry varieties were introduced from Europe and Asia. I think they are pretty close in BTU....medium heat output, around 21 MBTU/cord.

Yup, sweet cherry. The fruit is tasty. I have some in my stacks but have yet to burn it. It feels similar in weight to black cherry.

Another I see regularly in the Northeast, and may occur in your neck of the woods, is what I call fire cherry, also known as pin cherry (Prunus pensylvanica) which has bark kinda like sweet cherry but with a distinct copper color & shine. Will totally fill in some clearcut areas, but is very short-lived (<40-50 yrs), a true "pioneer species". Many get shaded out & die before they're even to firewood size.

I think Pellet Pete has it. The smooth barked tree is most likely Pin Cherry or Fire cherry. And maybe some poison ivy in there too.
The cherries (fruit) usually grow in pairs like sour cherries and are bright red. About the size of a pea.
The other tree...the black cherry has very dark red clusters of berries. When they are ripe they are almost black.
These two trees pal around together. I personally would cut the Pin to let the black cherry grow. I dont ever see pin cherries listed on any btu charts. Probably around same as gray birch or poplar.
I have 3-4 of them growing with Black cherry in a hedgerow and they are dying back due to the bigger trees shading them out.

If you are gonna cut those trees down get the vines down first. With an axe. and dip the axe in gasoline. pull the vines away from any chainsaw action. As a precaution.

Status
Not open for further replies.