Ugly Stacks ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
f506256405d43f75e59f9a985c7262e5.jpg3772c34bdc03116ea16943844ea4ae26.jpg that and a dump cart full of splits!

Reactions: Wickets
We always see these beautiful wood stacks of splits.Now what and how do folks stack their uglies ?
Just remember, they may be ugly but they have a great personality and will keep you warm on cold winter nights. ==c

I run my stacks between two trees so I use my uglies (anything with a concave side, like crotches or warped pieces) on the ends to help anchor the stack to the trees. If I have some left over I just put them on the top row.

I stack three wide and the center row of the stack is where I throw my uglies. I hand split and set aside splits that are flat on both sides from large logs for boxing in the corners then fill in between with small rounds and partial rounds. The uglies tend not to pack tight in the center and I feel that that allows a bit more air circulation inside the stack.

I end up with lot of uglies as I drop the trees in the woods and cut it down to around 2" diameter. Wood from dealers with firewood processors usually tend to be straighter and more uniform as the processor needs a straight stick of a minimum and maximum diameter., I curious what they do with their ugly wood that they cant process?. I expect it ends up in their woodpile or sold when people are desperate for firewood..

Last edited:
Just remember they are 2's before 10 and 10's after 2.

My ugly get stacked on top unless they are really ugly then they go into the pit.

I have what I call the cookie tray on top of my stacks. Inevitably I get a buncha stuff longer than the 18-20 max of my firebox. I actually built a jig to hold stuff steady while I scalp it with the Stihl. My piles look like they have smoke stacks.

I have what I call the cookie tray on top of my stacks. Inevitably I get a buncha stuff longer than the 18-20 max of my firebox. I actually built a jig to hold stuff steady while I scalp it with the Stihl. My piles look like they have smoke stacks.
I cant picture it. Mind posting a picture or two? One of the piles and one of the jig, preferably.

We always see these beautiful wood stacks of splits.Now what and how do folks stack their uglies ?

You probably haven't seen my stacks of wood seasoning outside. They're not very beautiful . . . but then again I'm not stacking wood in the hopes of having a photo grace the cover of Better Homes and Gardens. I'm just looking to make some heat . . . besides I find beauty in a beautiful cracked, gray piece of wood.

But to answer your question . . . punks, chunks and uglies either go on top of the regular stack of wood, in between the two rows I make on the pallets or sometimes I stack a few of them in a separate pile . . . but most end up on top of the regular stack of wood.

Reactions: EPS
I'll snap a pic of the cookies tomorrow. The "jig" is a pallet with a slat removed to create a little cradle. I put some deck nails on the sides perpendicular to the removed slat. I hook a come along to the nails and strap the log down like baby in a car seat. It might actually be uglier than my stacks, but does the trick.

I try and use them on top to hold black plastic on my beautiful stacks. Then they don't feel so insecure because of their looks.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Someone has to have a pic showing the wood stack that is made with 2x4's and (2) cinder blocks, now those are ugly in my book.

Those..oh those, stuff nightmares are made of

you should see the one that i have that fell over... that is really ugly :)
upload_2016-12-22_13-27-15.png

Depends. Some years I have enough to build a box from pallets. Usually, I just toss them behind a nice looking stack with a space backed by a wire fence. My neighbor doesn't notice, since he has a wood fence that abuts my wire fence.

The cookie tray. Finally got home before it was dark to snap a pic.55b817fe0adf60d660f302e8711a4d12.jpg

Uglies go on top of the stacks. When covering, pick a few and lay 'em on the cover to hold it in place as you go.

The stuff is typically burl and crotch wood that seems to take forever to cure anyway. :)

One reason you have never seen pics of my stacks....;lol

When stacking in the shed I figure what the heck, it will be gone in 4 months anyhow.

My uglies are inside the top quarter of the H.H. pictured in avatar looking to your left.

In the background, to the left of the door and just behind the bench on the right you can see a couple of my "boxes" for odd-shaped stuff. They are built on pallets and I currently have three of them. The oldest one (by the door) is about 2.5 years old so the contents are burning well. The other two are much newer and need another year or more.

DSC06578.jpg

I built boxes out of pallets to and toss them into the box, both my boxes are full, one is full of 3 year seasoned uglies that I'll burn in the spring shoulder season.

Status
Not open for further replies.