Uh oh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny

Are they really concerned about modern stoves? There are still a few pre-1988 beasts out there filling most of the New England valleys with smoke. My Englander stove doesn't even meet the 2020 requirements, but when I am burning I see nothing and smell almost nothing coming from my chimney. I am more nauseated when I can smell the heating oil fumes.

Here is a link to video embedded in that article. I have not watched it but will later. You beat me to posting it. I can’t tell if there is any new information here or just talking about stuff I/we have already knew was out.

the quote of 21% of households use wood heat surprises me.
Evan

That same website also tells me how horrible my gas stove is to my family. Looks like we’re all going to die cold and hungry!!!

Reactions: JimBear
Here is a link to video embedded in that article. I have not watched it but will later. You beat me to posting it. I can’t tell if there is any new information here or just talking about stuff I/we have already knew was out.

the quote of 21% of households use wood heat surprises me.
Evan

So I read through it, and it says 21% of New England households use wood heat. I can buy that. Not that 21% of households in the country do.

After listening to the video, I'm glad that my house is so leaky. No worries for me!

Last edited:
So I read through it, and it says 21% of New England households use wood heat. I can buy that. Not that 21% of households in the country do.

After listening to the video, I'm glad that my house is so leaky. No worries for me!
I meant to include that “New England” qualifier in my post. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
Having lived in New England for my entire life I do not believe that 21% number is for primary heat. Maybe 21% use wood as some form of supplemental heat or ambience? The vast majority of the population lives is urban and suburban settings and uses oil/NG.

Just a small example but I live 40 miles outside the city and I'm the only person I know in my neighborhood who burns wood as primary heat. Plenty of pellet stove and recreational wood piles around though. Most houses have a fireplace.

I thought the same. How is the 21% defined? Maybe, and it's a big maybe, 21% do some woodburning. And I doubt it's even close to that number.

My first thought was that the decimal and definition were off. I could see 2.1% do some woodburning.

Last edited:
I have a hard time taking the video seriously, as the first few minutes focuses on what beer they’re drinking.

Reactions: gthomas785
Yep, most of New England "homes" are in urban areas and many of those are rentals. If they are talking about rural homes, then maybe. And how many are 100% wood. I admit, I am soft and have my oil burner come on at 5 AM to warm the bathroom before I jump in the shower (I don't bother heating overnight). Then I start a fire that quiets the oil burner for the rest of the day until the next morning. So I burn wood for heat but not exclusively.