Ultimate cheap ass - can I reuse coffee grinds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
Every time I toss out yesterday's coffee grinds I always think there must be another cup or two of coffee left in em. Have any of my fellow cheapskates devised a method for reusing them? Something like adding X scoops of new on top of the old to stretch them out? I'm serious.

Every other day, I just throw about half the usual on the previous days grounds. Sometimes.
Depends on my mood.
Ultimate cheap ass would be washing out your Depends and reusing.

:lol: or condoms

Throw ours around the acid loving shrubs. Works great. Be safe.
Ed

Thistle said:

That's just gross :ahhh:

I add them to the compost stuff, filter & all.

Maybe experiment and report back? Though, I'm going to guess that unless you like really astringent coffee, don't bother. Tea leaves, on the other hand, can be reused at least once without too many flavor issues.

I throw a tea bag in a water bottle and fill and refill it a good many times before it's done.

Matt

toss them on your hydrangeas to get them to turn blue!

Thistle said:
Just turn em inside out and use them again.

I'm a beverage snob. The problem with coffee grounds- you extract the tasty stuff first and the stuff extracted last has more of the bitter compounds- so if you go and extract the grounds again- each successive extraction will have less good coffee flavor and more bitterness. All that said- if you like the way it tastes- then extract 5 times. It's about your preference

That is why you only let a French press sit for 4 minutes or so. It's also why an Americano (espresso diluted with hot water) tastes so damn good. You extract the good stuff as a concentrate and then dilute avoiding the bitterness. Now that's a more expensive way to go.

We run another third of water through as soon as we pull a couple cups off in the morning. Doesn't seem to have any negative effect. Might be because it is fresh ground and my wife stuffs the hopper though.

Very cheep around here total monthly budget comes in at a wopping 1100.00 This is 2 auto as well for 5 people. We buy the cheepest to start with and compost the grinds. I need the coffee to be strong as possiable
Now where still using the cloths line in the winter maybe that helps with the coffee budget.

There's a whole movement of folks who are buying beans green and roasting them at home. A lot of them use an old hot air popcorn popper to accomplish this. I think green beans typically go for about $5 to $7/pound, so about the same price as the middle of the road coffee in the grocery store. Not bad for about the freshest tasting cup of joe you can make at home.

You could always just make coffee the navy way, but the cheapest coffee you can, make it pretty strong, and just add a pinch of salt to the pot! It reduced the bitterness of the coffee. Tastes great!

I have also heard that some people add a pinch of baking soda, but I havent tried that. The salt is definitely a nice little addition

Just don't use them if there very old they tend to get moldy, but the hot water should kill the bacteria so you will be ok.

maverick06 said:
You could always just make coffee the navy way, but the cheapest coffee you can, make it pretty strong, and just add a pinch of salt to the pot! It reduced the bitterness of the coffee. Tastes great!

I have also heard that some people add a pinch of baking soda, but I havent tried that. The salt is definitely a nice little addition

Mom did that, and I asked her about it one time. She said the same, it reduces the bitterness. I'll have to try it sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.