Unbelievable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All those broken bricks really makes me think most, if not all of this damage happened in shipping. Broken bricks aren’t uncommon, we always carry extras in the van for this reason.

Reactions: bfitz3
I would say the 5 broken bricks could have been broken during shipping but that’s all. The door was sealed in a bag with packing around it , the broken hinge was not in the bag it was packed at the factory that way and the unwelded ash pan was factory issue as well as the piece on the front of the stove with the knock out for the ash dump lever. The fire brick may have been broke from Shipping but that’s the only thing.

Reactions: Ashful
Maybe you should return it and buy a quality product like Blaze King Jotul, or Lopi.

Reactions: Ashful
How was it paid for? If by CC that carries some good weight.

Hope you get it replaced soon. This doesn't help but my Drolet Baltic cost half of that and the build quality is top notch and I'm picky. For the kind of money you spent that stove should be perfect in every way.

Reactions: Mech e
I’m not planning to keep it and yes for the $ I paid it should be perfect in every way. I was looking at Drolet and Jøtul I wish I would have went with something else right now but I’m waiting to see how PE responds before I do anything. I will say the stove itself seems decent made and the door is very heavy but with all these problems who knows what else may be wrong that I’m not aware of yet.

It's a great stove design and a nice heater. You made a good choice, but got a bum deal. I wouldn't trust the one you got as being ok either. Who knows what else was missed.

FWIW, I've been burning in its brother for 10 years now and only have replaced gaskets. My best friend up north runs a Summit as his sole source of heat. They've had it for over 5 yrs now and it is still like new.

Yes, that got me thinking. It's hard to recall a single major stove mfg. that something like this hasn't happened to. Rais maybe? It's not common, but a real drag when it happens to you. Stand firm and refuse to take the stove. Document all issues and let the dealer know you want a proper replacement.
Yep, true. When I had my Regency installed 10 years ago, the shield/deck deflector had been welded backwards/upside down, plus a couple of other minor issues that made us shake our heads.

I finally took delivery of my new pe summit pedestal stove yesterday and had nothing but problems it was all quality control problems from the factory. The ash pan wasn’t even welded on one side and the metal strip that has the knockout for the ash dump assembly was on backwards with the knockout on the wrong end. I opened the fire brick up and discovered 5 broken bricks , I went to the dealer and got new ones and got them all installed so now I was ready to put the door on and I got it unpacked only to find the bottom hinge was completely broken off and it wasn’t in the packing anywhere which means it was packaged broken from the factory. I thought that I was buying high quality but apparently they have serious quality control problems and I don’t even want the stove now.
I've been driving by their shop weekly for about 10 years, I'm sure this sign has been hanging in front of the shop for at least that long. I think it was down for a bit during the summer to be repainted...:rolleyes:
P_20191107_125611.jpg

Reactions: StudlyHogly
I finally took delivery of my new pe summit pedestal stove yesterday and had nothing but problems it was all quality control problems from the factory. The ash pan wasn’t even welded on one side and the metal strip that has the knockout for the ash dump assembly was on backwards with the knockout on the wrong end. I opened the fire brick up and discovered 5 broken bricks , I went to the dealer and got new ones and got them all installed so now I was ready to put the door on and I got it unpacked only to find the bottom hinge was completely broken off and it wasn’t in the packing anywhere which means it was packaged broken from the factory. I thought that I was buying high quality but apparently they have serious quality control problems and I don’t even want the stove now.
Man that sucks plain and simple,i'd fight them tooth and nail,force them to take it back and good luck .

Yep, true. When I had my Regency installed 10 years ago, the shield/deck deflector had been welded backwards/upside down, plus a couple of other minor issues that made us shake our heads.
I call them 5pm Friday beer night stoves.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Sorry about the bad luck with the stove, I'm on my 4th season with our Summit and feel its a good stove. You did make a good stove choice I feel.

I've been driving by their shop weekly for about 10 years, I'm sure this sign has been hanging in front of the shop for at least that long. I think it was down for a bit during the summer to be repainted...:rolleyes:
View attachment 250808
The hiring sign in not uncommon. My employer does the same thing here in Wisconsin. I also see this in Texas, Oklahoma, and Minnesota. Anywhere there is a worker shortage. It’s free advertising for the company.

The metal piece has the u shaped knock out on the wrong end and that’s why I couldn’t figure out how to get the ash dump handle through the front of the stove, if you turn it over it’s silver only painted on one side but I fixed this myself marking off the proper end and cut it out with a small hacksaw but I shouldn’t have had to do that it’s all poor quality control issues

Yikes...doing this may cause you some trouble when dealing with them to get a replacement/return.

View attachment 250808
In Duncan, right? I've notice that sign too when I visit old Van Isle... ahh that ocean air (well the straight in most places)...
--UVic alumnus, bunch of fam in the Comox valley

Perpetual hiring is often indicative of a high turnover rate with a constant need for bodies. Often fresh young un-tired ones. LOL

Perpetual hiring is often indicative of a high turnover rate with a constant need for bodies. Often fresh young un-tired ones. LOL
In an obtuse way, that was my point. I tried to buy a PE 2 years ago. Actually paid for it and weeks later checked with the dealer to get an ETA. The dealer called PE and they said they had no idea when the T6 might be in production. He implied that there might be production issues.

Reactions: mark cline
My stove came with 5 broken bricks and the paint was all scuffed off the one edge of the stovetop and it wasnt even a PE.

Sorry to hear about your stove. I agree send it back. I have a summit insert and I do think they make a good product, but after an experience like that I wouldn't blame you for going another route.

I was told over a week ago that a PE distributor was shipping me a new door from a warehouse in Virginia and I figured I would get it today and just in time since it snowed five inches here today and it’s 10 degrees. I was in my garage and saw a ups truck coming up the drive way , the driver jumps out and has a square box and I knew it wasn’t a stove door it was a new ash pan. I called PE and they said they made a mistake they didn’t have a door at the warehouse in Virginia that it was an ash pan. They actually ask me if I had another stove I could install until they could send me a door in a week or 2. I know a lot of you guys here swear by PE but wait until you need them for something there customer service is the worst I’ve ever seen.

Return the stove! With 5 broken bricks, a fractured hinge casting, and an ash pan with a poor weld that may have popped open, my gut says that stove had a significant impact that torqued it prior to packaging. Lord only knows what else is broken or about to break under thermal strain. Hopefully this is on your CC and you can stop payment immediately!

I was told over a week ago that a PE distributor was shipping me a new door from a warehouse in Virginia and I figured I would get it today and just in time since it snowed five inches here today and it’s 10 degrees. I was in my garage and saw a ups truck coming up the drive way , the driver jumps out and has a square box and I knew it wasn’t a stove door it was a new ash pan. I called PE and they said they made a mistake they didn’t have a door at the warehouse in Virginia that it was an ash pan. They actually ask me if I had another stove I could install until they could send me a door in a week or 2. I know a lot of you guys here swear by PE but wait until you need them for something there customer service is the worst I’ve ever seen.
Wow, That’s just scary. I think I will avoid them.

Wow, That’s just scary. I think I will avoid them.
Ah, dammit. We were so close. :( ;) I would still go for it, if I was convinced that the dealer was good, and was going to back me up.
I went to an out-of-town dealer to get the old version of the T5 for my SIL. If I could've thought better on my feet, I might have done pretty well, in spite of the crappy dealer. First alarm bell was that the store was in a strip mall, plus it was disorganized. They had left the stove out in a light shower. There was a cracked board on the front of the crate, and a tear in the plastic bag cover, down by the ash lip. The lip was chipped and the clown that rammed the stove into something and chipped it, pulled the plastic around so it didn't line up with the chip, trying to hide it. 1.5 hrs. from home, I was fixated on just getting the stove loaded and getting outta there before it got late on me. It was my buddy that discovered the chip. I should have gone over it with a fine-toothed comb at that point, because when I got home and un-crated the stove, I saw that the Moe-Ron had also bent the door handle. If I woulda caught that at the shop, I would have had the leverage to get a pretty big discount, I think. Luckily, the stove is of stout construction and the door itself was undamaged, seals well, etc. I got away relatively unscathed, despite my ignorance. :rolleyes: Obviously, I have no dealer support at this point..

Status
Not open for further replies.