Understanding a Regency I2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kammij

Dec 13, 2014
Waterloo, NY
Can someone explain to me how air enters the firebox on a Regency I2400? We have had our unit for about six years and it's worked wonderfully. Lately the fire seems to be getting less air even though I set the damper where I always have.

I was wondering if the air intake location might need to be cleaned. With the door open, there is an awesome draft and the chimney is lined.

Thanks.

Hi kammij,

I also have an i2400. I can't comment on the secondary air intake (because I don't know exactly where it is), but the primary air is on the right side of the insert (looking at it near the front). You need to remove the blower and then you'll see the round hole where the air comes in.

I've only had my insert for a year so I'm not sure if the intake would get clogged are not. I'm assuming your chimney and cap are clean? Have you confirmed your wood is as seasoned as previous seasons? I've found that you can get a seriously strong draft with the door open, whether the wood is fresh/seasoned and whether or not the chimney is clean. However once you close the door it's a different story.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much for your reply. I had the blower off last night, but didn't realize to check that particular area. The chimney and cap are clean (this past spring) and its the same wood as last year. My wife and I did start to wonder that if installing new windows in our living room and dining room might have significantly reduced the available air for the insert. We have an old farmhouse and the old windows were probably from the 40s or 50s. The new windows (top of the line Andersen) are a dramatic difference in terms of keeping out the air drafts. So maybe that's part of it?

Thanks

I too have a I2400. As you suspect it could very well be your better windows. The next time you are having the problem crack open a window and see if it improves.
The round hole on the right side I refer to as an EPA hole. The only purpose is to satisfy epa regulations I believe. If you are having howling problems from too much draft you can plug it or place a magnet over it. (I have mine plugged, it had a annoying howl)

I too have a I2400. As you suspect it could very well be your better windows. The next time you are having the problem crack open a window and see if it improves.
The round hole on the right side I refer to as an EPA hole. The only purpose is to satisfy epa regulations I believe. If you are having howling problems from too much draft you can plug it or place a magnet over it. (I have mine plugged, it had a annoying howl)

Hi Dieselbreath, thanks for clarifying... seems I was wrong. Mine was howling as well and I covered it a slight bit - howl gone.

Hi guys. I have had 2 I2400 stoves in the past 5 years. The first one was replaced due to a crack near the right hand upper corner radius. From my experience both of my stoves howled. Some where in the internet I found a guy saying that the small EPA hole on the bottom right corner was punched and not drilled, thus leaving a small burr on the inside of the hole. I used a small curved file and removed it. It was good for 5 years without a howl. On my new stove I found it was also necessary to remove the burr on the inside of the draft hole in the fire box. You can feel the ridge with a suitable tool. It only takes a few minutes to remove the burr without affecting the overall dimension of the hole. I see people recommending to block the hole, but I don't think that's the best option....

Status
Not open for further replies.