Understanding floor protection requirements for Jotul #8 (circa 1980's)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ausavage

Jan 22, 2019
Ithaca, NY
TL;DR: What does this mean?
2 layers of 3/8" millboard where K=0.84 BTU IN/FT² H °F required.

Does this mean that this k value is required? First of all, I can't find a straight answer for how to convert a k value with these units into an R value. Second, by saying "where required", is it saying that it's not required unless you're in a location where local regulations require it?

Long story:
Hi! We're finishing a converted garage. Right now the woodstove, a Jotul #8, circa late 1980's, is on a hearth of loose bricks over a subfloor, which is not up to par. As we finish and floor the room, our plan is to move the stove, continuously floor with vinyl plank flooring, then rebuild a hearth on top of the flooring and replace the stove.

I thought we had it all figured out– we have a beautiful piece of vermont purple slate that's well beyond the size requirements of the stove as specified in the manual, but I can't figure out if the stove requires just floor protection for ashes / embers, or if there is an r-value requirement for the hearth pad as well. My understanding is that slate's r-value is fairly low, about .1 / inch of thickness according to https://chimneysweeponline.com/horvalue.htm.

I've attached a screenshot of the stove manual's chart showing the floor protection requirements. Any help appreciated– is our plan for using the slate adequate, or do we need to add a layer of high-R-value material underneath? If so, what total R value is required?
Screen-Shot-2019-01-22-at-3.04.50-PM.png