uneven burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belties

Nov 27, 2011
Between toasty and warm
We've got a VC Defiant,cat version. The stove is humming right along, has for a month now. The right side of the stove burns wonderfully, it's bright and keeps the glass clean. However, for some reason the left side burns poorly, it's almost always dark and the glass has black build up that I am constantly cleaning. The wood is dry, seasoned wood. This stove runs along @ 350-400* chimney temps. Why the uneven burn?

Thanks

What's the temp on the griddle?

You might have a door gasket leak on the side that darkens - try the dollar bill test on it.

I don't know if there is an airwash plate above the door that's adjustable - check you manual for that. If you don't have one, I'm pretty sure you can download them from VC.

Good luck,
Bill

leeave96 said:
What's the temp on the griddle?

I'm interested in that as well. The stove pipe temps seem a bit high. I have the Encore (Cat) sitting at 600 right now and my stove pipe is sitting at about 250 degrees.

belties said:
Griddle temp is just a hair above 600, chimney temps 300. Usually runs a little higher than that, but that's what it's running now.

How old is the stove? Is it the single pane glass, or double?

Status
Not open for further replies.