Uni tsi boilers opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We got a UNI 15 and had it installed in our basement for our in-floor heat. I only have 40 gallons of hot water storage, so a lot more would have been a good idea. My main beef is the smoke coming out of the door I need to open to add wood. I added a draft booster to the exhaust chimney, which itself has problems. Having storage would mean I could just load it, burn it all up then start it up again later when there would be no smoke to escape.
Well, that does not sound good, it is an updraft boiler, so only way to reduce smoke is turn down the fan when loading. I would not shut it off just put it to min speed, and open the door slowly.if the fire is idling and not burning you dont want it to backdraft opening the door. Use a respirator when loading the dboiler, af wood smoke contains a list of tiny particulates not healthy in a small space.

Reactions: Nature boy
Well, that does not sound good, it is an updraft boiler, so only way to reduce smoke is turn down the fan when loading. I would not shut it off just put it to min speed, and open the door slowly.if the fire is idling and not burning you dont want it to backdraft opening the door. Use a respirator when loading the dboiler, af wood smoke contains a list of tiny particulates not healthy in a small space.
I am 77. I have a Uni 15 and large buffer tank being delivered next week; to be installed in the walk-in basement of our NH 1200 sq ft ranch. Not a newbie; heated with wood for many years back in the day. My father heated with wood for many years; as did my grandfather on the farm. Lots of wood here on our 4 acre lot and no immediate neighbors. Good chimney draft as we are sited on a saddle with east/west prevailing breezes. Studied the options and available products. Inside is better/more convenient than outside if you do it right. I like the UNI design and old country pedigree, with modern control system. I am fabricating a 4'x4' hood over the stove with external vent and exhaust fan to operate when loading/servicing the stove. Plate exchanger on the hot water heater. Water/air heat exchanger in the furnace plenum. Oil kicks in if the fire goes out. Next winter's wood is already cut and under cover. Following winter's wood is felled, will be cut and undercover by Labor Day. Stay warm out there!