Unique Grandma Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old School

Burning Hunk
Jul 15, 2015
Georgia
I am always looking for deals on used stoves and came across this one today. It is a first for me. Anyone familiar with this design? Tag shows it to be a Grandma but I have never seen this style doors or the side air controls.

They are asking $525 for the unit.

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grandma IV. Notice it is on the tag as well.
The rear shield will curl towards the front at top and a blower was available that mounts on the back at bottom.
If you go to the Grandma and Grandpa Bear "Details" thread the first post shows a III with flat top glass and the IV with angled top glass next to the III.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fisher-grandma-and-grandpa-bear-details-fireplace-series.69448/

Here is an ad for the IV that appears on a few threads in the Forum; Once you search "Grandma IV", you should come up with more info and pics of them.

Grandma IV.jpg

There were cast iron black outs available for the doors as well; Good in case this is your only heat source up north. I burn 24/7 all winter and stay away from glass since the stove is my only heat source. So having a pair of cast plates with a glass stove is mandatory in my book. I don't know if new stoves even have such a thing.

IV cast iron door panels 1.jpg IV cast iron door panels 2.jpg

You won't be sorry if you buy it. I believe Cam Fan on this site has a few new blowers for them in black and brown left over new in box ! He oils and runs them since they have been sitting so long before shipping or pick up.

This shows the primary air intake for side damper housing on both sides in firebox.
The slot across bottom is air wash for glass controlled by two sliders on front. When up to temp, the sides are normally closed and all air comes in over glass to keep smoke particles away from glass. That is normally enough air (even closed slightly) for overnight burn.

GM IV Scott Ohio 8.jpg Grandma, Grandpa and Insert IV are all similar.

If you want to play with secondary air combustion, this is the stove to add tubes to.

Thank you. So what's the deal with the doors being silver? Was that a factory thing or has someone just chosen to paint them that color somewhere along the way?

I would hope they are Nickel plated doors ready for paint. When you see all the pictures of people painting the trees and high lighting the raised edges they can look like Nickel or Brass doors. There is chrome header paint for automotive and other tricks to make them look plated. Not a big deal if it's only paint. That picture is what plated doors look like before paint. They are plated inside and out, as well as handles, and sometimes hinge pins. You then paint entire door and wipe the raised design and edge with Mineral Spirits before final paint cure with heat.
The finished product should look like this;

IV Nickel.jpg The freshly dried paint wipes right off. ONLY polish Nickel or Brass plated doors with precious metal polish for gold, silver, nickel, brass...... nothing abrasive.

Here is a solid door set nickel plated and ready for paint;

Napa 2.jpg

Ok thanks again for the education. I like this stove and it is priced well for my area but I really need a rear vent for my setup. I had never seen a IV for sale in my area. Normally I see the older ones with the intakes on the doors.

I have a good heater on each floor currently but I just can't help wanting a Fisher. I remember as child sitting in front of my Grandads' Fisher and I now want one in my home. One day I will find the right one. I thought I wanted a Papa but I have about decided now I would like to have a Grandma or Grandpa for the fire view option. I miss that aspect of my fireplaces. I guess a lot of that will depend on which one I get a good deal on.....who knows I might just get one of each.

For some reason around here when I do find a Fisher they are asking a mint. Currently the other two listed for sale are each over 1,000.00. Even in the off season they are always 600+. I guess they weren't as plentiful in the South or maybe just fewer folks around here are upgrading to the new epa stoves and are still burning their Fishers.

I don't think there is such a thing as a rear vent with glass. The rear shield would have to be cut around the pipe and I'm not sure what the flow would do for keeping the glass clean. I would certainly try it. The rear shield bolts on, so it's very possible to have a rear vent added and make a plate for the top vent like a cook plate. You may not see another for years, and they are all going to be top vent.
Do you need to have a rear outlet to get under a mantel or horizontal pipe through the wall? If it is a through the wall installation with outdoor fabricated chimney, double wall pipe inside is required for proper draft. It is called for in the installation instructions, so it becomes code to install as per manufacturer instructions. The solid doors with rear vent use a screen for fire viewing but are not considered a radiant heater in Fireplace Mode. I would consider modifying this one for the price. Most are going to be double that when they know what they have. It's not a big deal to have a welder cut a hole and weld another pipe on the back.
Are you near, or could you get the stove to Watkinsville GA ?

I agree many are overpriced. Especially the older unlisted models that can no longer technically be used in most of North America.
Any modification including a rear vent will lose the UL Rating if insurance is an issue. All appliances must be installed and used AS TESTED by the testing Lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.