Unplanned Perks Of Having A Wood Burning Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When my wife fell ill for the first time back in "99", we had to put the dream of having a cottage up north aside. We decided that we should build a cabin in our backyard. We then built a griilhouse and a pizza oven. These photos kind of show what our up north looks like even though it is actually located south. We spend weekends sleeping in the cabin and we get up in the morning and have coffee on the porch and watch the dogs play. Then my wife will whip up a batch of french toast. About 9am we walk to the house and begin our day. We have no neighbors to the back of us, just woods and a creek. We live 6 miles north of the Detroit city limits. It is the best we can do for now and has brought us much closer. We installed our EQ in Jan. 2009 and we also share the room and watch our favorite shows or just talk about the day. It is truly about the simple pleasures that are the most rewarding.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jlowry10/DogsCabin#

jlow said:
When my wife fell ill for the first time back in "99", we had to put the dream of having a cottage up north aside. We decided that we should build a cabin in our backyard. We then built a griilhouse and a pizza oven. These photos kind of show what our up north looks like even though it is actually located south. We spend weekends sleeping in the cabin and we get up in the morning and have coffee on the porch and watch the dogs play. Then my wife will whip up a batch of french toast. About 9am we walk to the house and begin our day. We have no neighbors to the back of us, just woods and a creek. We live 6 miles north of the Detroit city limits. It is the best we can do for now and has brought us much closer. We installed our EQ in Jan. 2009 and we also share the room and watch our favorite shows or just talk about the day. It is truly about the simple pleasures that are the most rewarding.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jlowry10/DogsCabin#

Really nice, jlow. Sounds like a lovely way to live. There's almost always a way to get a little bit closer to what you want, even if you can't manage to quite get all the way there.

carlo said:
Especially these days. I can't help but notice the materialistic crap that is infesting our youth. Constant unnecessary communication with blackberry's or i-phones, $150 jeans, must have the newest gadget, etc. This nonsense is taking my family away from me. I don't mind technology, don't get me wrong, but the way it's marketed today is making us a more fractured society even though the lines of communication are more abundant.

Oh how we forget! :)

If you are in your 30s than we are close to the same age. I'm 35, so my teenage years were 1988-1994 (ages 13-19).
Let's break a few things down:

"Constant unnecessary communication with blackberry's or i-phones"
- Our generation would just lock ourselves up in our room with the home phone and/or have the stereo blasting (what ever happened to my copied version of Slayer; Reign In Blood?)

"$150 jeans"
- Our generation; $80 Guess jeans. Inflation, damn you, inflation.

"must have the newest gadget, etc."
-Nintendo, Sega, Sony Walkman, TV in the bedroom (started to become far more frequent with our generation), your own phone line (mostly the girls), CDs and CD players.

Yes, technology has changed, but kids have not.

BrowningBAR said:
carlo said:
Especially these days. I can't help but notice the materialistic crap that is infesting our youth. Constant unnecessary communication with blackberry's or i-phones, $150 jeans, must have the newest gadget, etc. This nonsense is taking my family away from me. I don't mind technology, don't get me wrong, but the way it's marketed today is making us a more fractured society even though the lines of communication are more abundant.

Oh how we forget! :)

If you are in your 30s than we are close to the same age. I'm 35, so my teenage years were 1988-1994 (ages 13-19).
Let's break a few things down:

"Constant unnecessary communication with blackberry's or i-phones"
- Our generation would just lock ourselves up in our room with the home phone and/or have the stereo blasting (what ever happened to my copied version of Slayer; Reign In Blood?)

"$150 jeans"
- Our generation; $80 Guess jeans. Inflation, damn you, inflation.

"must have the newest gadget, etc."
-Nintendo, Sega, Sony Walkman, TV in the bedroom (started to become far more frequent with our generation), your own phone line (mostly the girls), CDs and CD players.

Yes, technology has changed, but kids have not.

I'm in my mid 50's, so my teen days were a lot different then yours. But again, it's not the technology I'm ranting about. In fact some of the technology is really helpful in stimulating the brain in various ways (some of it is also brain numbing). I guess what upsets me is the way the whole shibang is being marketed to us. It's like you gotta get this and that or you just don't rate. I see people going into serious debt to get the latest fads. I have no problem with people that have money buying useless things, that is their perogative. But when marketers habitually trick people into overextending themselves for the sake of a dollar then you gotta sort of take a step back and say to yourself wtf ?

And to the poster with that snake story ....... that is certainly not a perk ...lol I'm gonna be checking every one of those 2 or 3 splits I bring in. And I don't even have any snakes around here .... I think.

I have been pleasantly surprised to find that I am ENJOYING winter for the first time in years. Used to be, right about now through the end of March I was getting sick and tired of always being cold and cooped up. I don't feel that way at all now. Wow!

-Speak

Unplanned perk for me was learning basic blacksmithing.

One day I had a 3' piece of 1/4" steel rod in my hand and I stuck it through the intake of my 118 to see how hot it would get. I took it out and it was bright red, so I put it back in, grabbed a block of steel to use as an anvil, took a ball peen hammer and went to town on it. I quickly learned how to make little S-hooks and such things. Both of my young sons saw me and got instantly interested. Next thing I know, we're building a small coal forge and have three anvil, two blacksmith's post vises, and about a dozen hammers. We started playing around with old files and car springs, learning to heat treat tool steel and making plane irons, chisels, gouges and knives out of them. I found out that James Schmidt - the world's greatest maker of Damascus pocket folders - lived about 20 minutes away. My oldest son Nic and I visited him and he showed us some of his work. His knives are beautiful enough to make a grown man weep tears of joy.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533911

Sadly, Big Jim died shortly after that and we drifted away from knife making, but those were some bonding times for me and my two sons. We also met Paul Champagne, the only Caucasian maker of Japanese style swords. Paul in one intense dude. Unlike traditional Japanese bladesmiths, he performs every step along the way. From digging his own iron sand in the Adirondacks, to smelting the ore in a tatara, to forging and even polishing, Paul's mark is everywhere on the blade. One of his blades was chosen by the living legend and master swordsman Obata Toshishiro to attempt to break the record for largest cut into a traditional lacquered leather Samurai helmet. Over the centuries, many blades have failed miserably in this test. With Paul's sword, Obata beat the record by a centimeter.

http://www.shinkendo.com/kabuto.html

Paul lives in nearby Greenfield Center.

Nic still has an active interest in metal working and studied at SUNY New Paltz. Just the other day, he came over to work on the wedding bands he's making for himself and his fiancé. And I still save my excess coals to use in my forge every now and then.

From watching us using torches, my wife began to take an interest in hot glass. She now has a nice little lampwork studio set up in my basement workshop and has become an accomplished hot glass worker.

It's all about playing with fire.

Wow. Just... wow.

Battenkiller, I think that can't be topped as a "side benefit" of being a wood burner. Might as well just close the thread.

carlo said:
[
But again, it's not the technology I'm ranting about. In fact some of the technology is really helpful in stimulating the brain in various ways (some of it is also brain numbing). I guess what upsets me is the way the whole shibang is being marketed to us. It's like you gotta get this and that or you just don't rate. I see people going into serious debt to get the latest fads. I have no problem with people that have money buying useless things, that is their perogative. But when marketers habitually trick people into overextending themselves for the sake of a dollar then you gotta sort of take a step back and say to yourself wtf ?

[At the risk of taking this thread further off topic]

I think you hit the nail on the head exactly!

I am not against new at all. I just cant stand it when people keep buying all this stuff just "because" and to keep up with the Jonses.

- For example, we live in a smallish 1400sq ft antique house. I could have done what everyone else my age does and buy a new construction McMansion. But why? What does it get me but a status symbol? Our small house is still more than enough living space and I really appreciate the craftsmanship (that you cant get new) and character of the place. I bet it will still be standing long after most homes built today are gone... how is that for "green"!

- Similarly when it comes to music I still listen to records. MP3s and ipods are nice for the road but I feel like its just too disposable.

- I like reading real books and going to the library. No kindle or iPad for me, thanks.

- And yes, like most people my age I got drawn into facebook - but after the novelty wore off I barely look at it. Sites like that are actually driving us apart and we all sit at home alone rather than connecting face to face.

On the other side:

- I do have a flat screen TV and HD cable. I bought it because I really like the movie theater at home experience. In *moderation* I think TV is just fine, I just avoid the stupid reality shows.

- I do keep my computer fairly up to date and I do play some games. I work in computers for a living and very much enjoy the latest innovations here.

So for me its a matter of balance - some things traditional, some things new - nothing acquired unless I really personally need/want it and nothing (except house) bought on credit.

~Jeremy

+1 I get stove envy from my neighbors. And I get a little kick to see the oilman pass us by.

carlo said:
I'm in my mid 50's, so my teen days were a lot different then yours.

Yep. CB radios, 8 track tape players, cheap gasoline (for a little while anyway), bell bottoms, ugly clothes, long hair..................

First year with the wood stove here. Central location. We haven't had a TV for 15 years. Just got cable hooked up to watch the winter olympics, and snagged a free TV (36" Sony Trinitron CRT - thing was so heavy, no wonder they gave it away). Anyway, the olympics haven't even started and I'm already sick of that TV. The minute the games are over, I'm putting that sucker out on the curb. The wood stove had only added to the comfort and peace of a house without a TV. Of course, I still have my raging teenage daughter, but she'll be fine. She knows I can't stop loving her.

jharkin said:
Similarly when it comes to music I still listen to records.

Unexpected penalty for not burning wood....

I've mentioned on a few occasions my old wood burning furnace, which we affectionately named "Maurice" (from the movie, "Little Monsters"). I threw over 50 cord of hardwood at that thing in five seasons. The alternative was electric baseboard heat... something we never once even considered turning on. And we never once needed it, because Big Mo' would heat us right out of the house, open windows in the middle of January and everything. But it was the last day of November, and it had been a mild one. I only fired up Mo' a few times, and I thought I was done with it as we prepared to move to the new place.

On the last day there, we got hit with an unbelievable cold snap. We could see our breath in the house, and my wife begged me to start a fire. Unfortunately, I had already moved our firewood supply to the new place the day before. Then I thought, "Hell, it's the last day here... let's see how that electric works." And it worked fine. I could sense the meter just spinning away, but it did the trick for the few hours we needed to pack up the last of the non-essentials. Books, stereo, musical instruments, sporting goods, etc. The last thing left to pack was my vinyl collection. I got several orange crates, grabbed a cup of coffee, and proceeded to sit down to pack up my records. They felt a bit warm as I was pulling them out of the shelving unit, and then I felt the back edges of them. Not warm, but blazingly hot!

For five years these precious vinyl discs had been stored directly in front of the main electric baseboard in the living room. It was a decision I had made when I was 100% sure we would never once turn that damn electric heat on. A decision I had just plumb forgotten about.

I went into panic mode, and then I thought of a solution. I called my wife, and we quickly grabbed them out while they were still hot and alternated them hot edge to warm edge in stacks on the floor and put every box of books we had on top of the stacks. Then I stepped back to pray.

At the end of the day, we went back to the old house to get the cats and the vinyl. Real bad omen, because one of our cats - the kids favorite - lay dead in the road in front of the house. So we had a group cry, and then a group hug, and quickly got the rest of our belongings and headed five miles down the road to our new home.

Good omen. As were approaching, I saw that the sky was starting to glow. The sun had just gone down, so I was a bit concerned about the possibility of a fire until I realized what it was - the beginning of the most spectacular display of Aurora Borealis that I have ever seen. It lit the whole sky up. Shimmering sheets of red and green ghosts dancing across the horizon, cascades of white light erupting from nowhere and slowly fading away. My wife was stunned because she had never seen them in her entire life. I ran into the house and grabbed every blanket, sleeping bag and comforter I could find and threw them out on the front lawn. Then I grabbed the wife and three kids and pulled them down into the gigantic nest and watched for almost two hours in the 7ºF air.

So we finally made our way into the house, fed the kids, and put them to sleep. Lady BK put dishes away and organized while I grabbed a big glass of whiskey and set up the stereo. Then, with some degree of trepidation, I began to examine the records. First one out of the box was Wes Montgomery's "Smokin' At The Half Note". As I pulled it out of the liner, it seemed perfectly fine. Then I noticed it had a distinct little cup to it. And then I saw that the back edge, the one that was resting against the electric heater, had a severe wrinkle in it. Junk. My pulse began to race as I pulled out the next one. Whew... OK.. wait... OH NO! Another one. And another... and another.. and so on to the very end.

Almost 300 rare vinyl albums, the result of nearly ten years of collecting in relative poverty, all destroyed. The legacy of my entire education in blues and jazz, turned into hundreds of ash trays.

Grown men don't weep over such things, but the grief was unbearable. Not as bad as losing a family member, but on the order of maybe losing your business (I had just experienced that the year before) or something like that. Blue Note, Vanguard, Impulse, Chess, Atlantic, Columbia. Some of it so rare I've never been able to even find references to it... all gone forever. I handled it the best way I could, by downing the rest of my scotch, crawling up to the new bedroom and pulling the covers over my head until I fell asleep.

So the moral of the story is: "Always burn wood." Even when you are fed up with it, and are feeling a bit extravagant. You just never know when the fickle finger of Fire Karma might tap you on the shoulder.

What jazz artists were in your collection? My Dad was a big jazz guy and had some Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, George Shearing, Erroll Garner, Cal Tjader, Father Tom Vaughn, Django Rheinhart and Stephane Grapelli, etc.. He passed in 2006 and I think the albums ended up at my brothers house. If any of these are in your roundhouse, let me know, as I think that it would make my Dad happy if they were being played by someone who truly enjoys them as he did. I hear these artists in some of the music of today and I have a soft spot for the artists of my Dad's generation. I use to wake up as a kid to Dad in his PJ's reading the Detroit Free Press with a cigarette and a coffee listening to his albums every Sunday Morn on his Magnavox stereo.

gyrfalcon said:
Wow. Just... wow.

Battenkiller, I think that can't be topped as a "side benefit" of being a wood burner. Might as well just close the thread.

Battenkiller's perk was real good, but I still like the guy that gets the bed to himself when his lady falls asleep on the couch by the stove.

carlo said:
Backwoods Savage said:
That is a good post Carlo. As you stated, it is just one of the perks, but one of the very best when it involves family.

I don't like this rat race I'm seeing these days. I wanna slow it down. This is all about making more and more money for the big corporations, and making more and more people debt slaves. I actually believe our technology has now exceeded human capability to a large extent. We have laptops out today that have enough memory and storage to last most people a lifetime, yet we keep buying the more advanced ones because "they" say it's cool. I'm not going there anymore. I buy what I need .... not what "they" say I need, and when trying to teach the kids this lesson a lot of friction develops in the suburbia I live in.

Since I have this stove, I feel like I'm taking a step back from the rat race. I have friends who put in heated floors in their bathrooms and kitchens and I laugh. I laugh at what they must be paying per month to maintain these ridiculous toys that society says we should have. I try to explain to my children the hype being thrown at us, but they refuse to see it. Sometimes sitting in front of the hot stove is just the right setting to engage them in conversation like this because the stove and heat seems to perform magic in opening their minds when I engage them in this dialogue.

I know many on this forum live out in very rural areas and are not as exposed to the rant I just finished. I'm very close to New York City and am in every way part of the rat race. Many of you guys and gals are lucky to be where you are. I wouldn't have said that 3 years ago, but I say it now. This stove has transformed me as a person. Of course, coming within a whisker of a 2nd Depression also factors into it ...lol. You see though the problem is that I don't believe we skirted the Depression. It just don't work like that in real life, although we'd like to believe it works like that. It's time to take a step back and prepare for more difficult times. Thank you everybody on this forum who have shown me how happy and fruitful life can be when dealing with the basics of life.

Every Generation thinks things ain't right with the "younger" generation. It's just how life works! Relax and be happy!

yanksforever said:
carlo said:
Backwoods Savage said:
That is a good post Carlo. As you stated, it is just one of the perks, but one of the very best when it involves family.

I don't like this rat race I'm seeing these days. I wanna slow it down. This is all about making more and more money for the big corporations, and making more and more people debt slaves. I actually believe our technology has now exceeded human capability to a large extent. We have laptops out today that have enough memory and storage to last most people a lifetime, yet we keep buying the more advanced ones because "they" say it's cool. I'm not going there anymore. I buy what I need .... not what "they" say I need, and when trying to teach the kids this lesson a lot of friction develops in the suburbia I live in.

Since I have this stove, I feel like I'm taking a step back from the rat race. I have friends who put in heated floors in their bathrooms and kitchens and I laugh. I laugh at what they must be paying per month to maintain these ridiculous toys that society says we should have. I try to explain to my children the hype being thrown at us, but they refuse to see it. Sometimes sitting in front of the hot stove is just the right setting to engage them in conversation like this because the stove and heat seems to perform magic in opening their minds when I engage them in this dialogue.

I know many on this forum live out in very rural areas and are not as exposed to the rant I just finished. I'm very close to New York City and am in every way part of the rat race. Many of you guys and gals are lucky to be where you are. I wouldn't have said that 3 years ago, but I say it now. This stove has transformed me as a person. Of course, coming within a whisker of a 2nd Depression also factors into it ...lol. You see though the problem is that I don't believe we skirted the Depression. It just don't work like that in real life, although we'd like to believe it works like that. It's time to take a step back and prepare for more difficult times. Thank you everybody on this forum who have shown me how happy and fruitful life can be when dealing with the basics of life.

Every Generation thinks things ain't right with the "younger" generation. It's just how life works! Relax and be happy!

I think you misunderstood me. I got no problem with any generations. My problem is with corporate america's full court press in trying to make us debt slaves. It's just that the younger generations are more susceptible to this form of marketing and I'm just trying to expose their shenanagens to my kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.