Unusual re-use, how to vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2014
Seabrook, MD (DC suburbs)
Hi! Actually, I just converted AWAY from wood to pellet (start laughing now, you've heard about the pellet shortage); anyway, couldn't bring myself to simply discard my +/- eighteen year old Grizzly insert.

So I had the installer for the pellet insert drag the Grizzly onto my back patio. Come spring, I want to re-utilize it, as a sort of chiminea. It's in nice shape, and will look good once I repaint (looking for brush-on hi-temp dark green paint, BTW). I'll mount it on HD wheels but it'll need a chimney of sorts. I've never worked with the stuff but I figure on some of that stainless steel stove pipe -- any ideas on minimum height/diameter to get this to draw correctly? I figure at least 6 feet just so it does not exhaust at eyeball level but that's a different issue. Data point: it has a 7" catalytic combustor.

It will be impossible to keep it from rusting, unless its kept in a climate controlled environment. Your SS pipe will be very expensive. You might just sell it on craigslist and buy a chimnea.

Not gonna do that, I really think this will make a great patio heat source. I'll take a wild guess, then, on the minimum height of pipe for a good draw.

Not gonna do that, I really think this will make a great patio heat source. I'll take a wild guess, then, on the minimum height of pipe for a good draw.
With the doors open it'll probably be 12-15'.

in the weather it will get ruined pretty quickly anyway.

Good point. I'll see about my wife making a cover out of Sunbrella fabric, you should see the one she made for the BBQ grill.

Status
Not open for further replies.