Up close with a Garn Jr.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, "Solar water heating property must be certified by SRCC." Maybe using a Garn Jr for solar hot water storage will provide a new form of "heat" in the form of a tax audit. Unless of course, Garn has obtained SRCC certification.

Yea I think I'll try and keep the government out of my project. Usually ends up being cheaper in the long run. I there are some other incentives in Maine that I may be able to use but some require a certified installer, and that alone would cost me more than the rebate. Since I plan on installing the system myself. They also have low interest loans for heating upgrades but this too needs a certified installer, I think it will be less expensive just to take care of it myself and keep the government out of it.

Reactions: flyingcow
Yea I think I'll try and keep the government out of my project. Usually ends up being cheaper in the long run. I there are some other incentives in Maine that I may be able to use but some require a certified installer, and that alone would cost me more than the rebate. Since I plan on installing the system myself. They also have low interest loans for heating upgrades but this too needs a certified installer, I think it will be less expensive just to take care of it myself and keep the government out of it.

But it might not hurt to call Efficiency of Maine. Don't discount it right off.

I have not been able to take advantage of any deal either. D.I.Y. customers are mostly ignored now a days. A term called "in kind services" needs to added to these incentives.

Reactions: flyingcow
Also, "Solar water heating property must be certified by SRCC." Maybe using a Garn Jr for solar hot water storage will provide a new form of "heat" in the form of a tax audit. Unless of course, Garn has obtained SRCC certification.

I won't argue about the language, but that has been regularly interpreted to mean the collectors, and only the collectors.

This stipulates at least HALF the dwellings heat must be derived for by the solar heat. Am I reading this correctly? Is this reasonable to obtain with something like that in the farm application?

the language is specifically referring to domestic consumption, which any reasonable sized array will do. Solar has been my primary trade for the last decade and a half, solid fuel in the last 5 years.

I have not been able to take advantage of any deal either. D.I.Y. customers are mostly ignored now a days. A term called "in kind services" needs to added to these incentives.

I'm suspecting that a lot of these incentives are backed by Product vendors and installers lobbyists. I'm sure the government isn't footing the whole bill. I suspect someone's pocket got lined to have it worded the way it is worded.

I'm suspecting that a lot of these incentives are backed by Product vendors and installers lobbyists. I'm sure the government isn't footing the whole bill. I suspect someone's pocket got lined to have it worded the way it is worded.

also to keep people from peddling garbage that didn't work and fell apart in a couple years. the SRCC listed equipment (panels) has to go thru a bunch of durability tests and uniform output tests in different conditions. Remember how much of the 1980's solar equipment lasted? lots of it is still out there running (the panels on my house are 1980's vintage) and a huge amount of it was garbage and went into the dump after a few years.

karl

also to keep people from peddling garbage that didn't work and fell apart in a couple years.
maybe in regards to this solar program. State run programs: not always!

Status
Not open for further replies.