Update after 1st Year - And a Wood ID question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gpsfool

Oct 17, 2014
Western New York
Howdy,

I'm now into my second year of burning wood. I've got 6.5 cords cut\split\stacked, three of this is dry and ready for use this year, the rest for next year and beyond. Now is that one or two years ahead - not sure? I'm working on getting further ahead - I'd like to be three+ years. In any event - what a difference nice dry wood makes! I also just added 4 more feet to my chimney - that has helped the draft.

Thanks to everyone on the forums for the education!

Been scrounging wood via Craigslist all year but around here there is not a lot to get - got to watch daily and jump fast. One thing is for sure - nobody wants Pine - fine with me - it burns nice!

Ok, now onto my wood ID question - yesterday I got a carload of logs off Craigslist. No leaves left on the tree, plenty of Oak leaves on the ground - bit this stuff does not look like Oak to me - perhaps Beech?

Bark is mostly smooth, silverfish in color. Fresh cut wood is creamy white, turns a light honey-orange color after a few days. Splits like a dream (Fiskars).

Attached are a few pictures - can anyone identify this wood?

Regards,

Gpsfool
IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1663.JPG

I have split Red Maple and Beech together and they can be tough to seperate but these are the slight differences (that I observe). Inner bark is thicker and has a pink tone in maple, Beech inner bark is very thin and tan, light tan. Beech has no cracking in the bark unless it has Beech bark disease and the round in your photo has too uniform of cracking patterns for it to be diseased bark. Another fairly obvious one is the Beech is wicked heavy and Red maple is lighter. Also, Beech is brittle hard wood and using a hydraulic splitter it grunts under pressure and then explodes apart, where maple just pops nicely...
One other small thing, Beech is one shade lighter in color than Red maple.
So...I say Red.

Howdy,

I'm now into my second year of burning wood. I've got 6.5 cords cut\split\stacked, three of this is dry and ready for use this year, the rest for next year and beyond. Now is that one or two years ahead - not sure? I'm working on getting further ahead - I'd like to be three+ years. In any event - what a difference nice dry wood makes! I also just added 4 more feet to my chimney - that has helped the draft.

Thanks to everyone on the forums for the education!

Been scrounging wood via Craigslist all year but around here there is not a lot to get - got to watch daily and jump fast. One thing is for sure - nobody wants Pine - fine with me - it burns nice!

Ok, now onto my wood ID question - yesterday I got a carload of logs off Craigslist. No leaves left on the tree, plenty of Oak leaves on the ground - bit this stuff does not look like Oak to me - perhaps Beech?

Bark is mostly smooth, silverfish in color. Fresh cut wood is creamy white, turns a light honey-orange color after a few days. Splits like a dream (Fiskars).

Attached are a few pictures - can anyone identify this wood?

Regards,

Gpsfool
View attachment 168400 View attachment 168401 View attachment 168402

6.5 - 3 = 3.5 = 1 year ahead. Keep going, next year go for another 6.5 css = 2 yrs ahead. And so on until you become a true wood addict.

bob

Have to agree with the maple. I have similar problem with CL. Not much around. Thankfully I found a place where they throw out a lot of pallets. Have almost a cord of pallet wood. 2X and 4X stuff. And yea, unfortunately, only 1 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.