Update: semi chisel chain on My new toy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arlo

Nov 19, 2007
PA
truck_susp_029-600x450.jpg

My new ms390. I'm running a safety chain right now but I just ordered a semi chisel chain. Can't wait to let it rip with a semi chisel. I got all the wood from a local construction site. I asked the site boss and he was cool with me bucking it up and loading it away. I also bought a pair of chaps and gloves. This saw can rip. Some will knock the 390 but I'm lovin it.

Update: The saw cuts sooo much better with this chain. Ripped a few 18" face x 22" lgth red oak rounds I had stacked whole, once it grabs, it pulls the saw through, spitting out long red chips. If you get this chain, get some chaps. There's definitely potential for harming yourself if your not careful. I personally learned my lesson last year and now I don't go near a saw without steel tips, chaps and gloves and eye gear. If I'm felling, I get the hard hat .

DSC05657-600x450.jpg

DSC05655-525x600.jpg

25" ....Does fine pushin it. The saw is rated for 18"-25", so its at the top of its limit, but suites my needs and its nice not bending down to buck.

looks good and it sure produces the saw dust a good sign of a great saw

^^

It does throw the chips although probably not as nicely as your 460. I wanted one of those but it wasn't in the budget.

I've had mine for a year and its never bogged down yet!

Arlo said:
^^

It does throw the chips although probably not as nicely as your 460. I wanted one of those but it wasn't in the budget.
friend of mine (MMUAL) thats also a member just bought a 361 20 in. bar and you could here it breaking in and getting meaner as the day went on. 59cc saw so I beleave that 390 would be standing tall at the end of the day!

He's right you can hear the difference from idle all the way to full throttle (3rd tank). I almost bought the 390 but I wanted to have a little bit less wait since its the only saw I will use continously.

MMaul said:
He's right you can hear the difference from idle all the way to full throttle (3rd tank). I almost bought the 390 but I wanted to have a little bit less wait since its the only saw I will use continously.
we had the chips flying took the splitter crew right out of commision!lol (20-30 mph winds blowing it right into the splitter)

I would grab an 18" bar and chains for that puppy as well when cash allows. I would use the 18" more than the 25" for sure - though nice to have the 25".

+2. That puppy will be much quicker and lighter with an 18".
I wouldn't want to swing a 25" around for too long. That's just me. I don't like that tip hanging way out there ready to touch off on something either.
If you really like the 25" you might consider 1/2 or full skip when you feel your skills are ready for a pro. chain. The skip will be lighter and have less teeth to sharpen.
Be safe and enjoy that nice mochine.

Brian VT said:
I don't like that tip hanging way out there ready to touch off on something either...
It's a matter of leverage. Think of it as a cheater bar for the kickback. Combine the leverage with the inertia behind that much weight and it could be your face that finally stops it. I've had a 16" bar stop an inch from my nose.

CTwoodburner said:
I would grab an 18" bar and chains for that puppy as well when cash allows. I would use the 18" more than the 25" for sure - though nice to have the 25".

I would agree, I think the sweet spot is around an 18-20" bar for most saws. On my Dolmar 7900, I use a 20" most of the time, but have a 28" that I have mounted a couple times for big wood. With the 20, the saw balances very nicely around the top bar, so it doesn't really take any effort to move the bar up and down, I can carry the saw (engine off!) in one hand, with the bar sitting level. When using it, I just go, doesn't take any real effort or thought to put the bar just where I want it.

With the 28" bar, the saw still cuts wonderfully, but it is MUCH harder to work with, as it no longer balances. It is nose heavy, and I am constantly having to push down on the rear handle to keep the tip out of the ground. I have to carry the saw with both hands, and constantly balance pulling up with my left hand and pushing down with my right in order to keep the tip up - no fun and really tiring.

Gooserider

arlo . since i can see a couple flaws in the saw all i can trade is one dried up milk cow , three of my best laying hens and a doughter that is cute but just a little over weight . nice saw . hoot

Thanks for the input. Alot of good info. I hear ya about wood chips, my drive way looks like a hamster cage. As far as the 18" or 20" bar. I intend to get one here soon for all the reasons mentioned. Hoot, thanks for the offer but I'm not sure my wife would be to pleased with trading my saw for your daughter, although I have one legged cat I can trade for your cow. :)

All in all, no matter what bar you throw on it, it is still a stihl and it runs far better than my old trusty underpowered poulan.

Gooserider said:
CTwoodburner said:

I would agree, I think the sweet spot is around an 18-20" bar for most saws. On my Dolmar 7900, I use a 20" most of the time, but have a 28" that I have mounted a couple times for big wood. With the 20, the saw balances very nicely around the top bar, so it doesn't really take any effort to move the bar up and down, I can carry the saw (engine off!) in one hand, with the bar sitting level. When using it, I just go, doesn't take any real effort or thought to put the bar just where I want it.

With the 28" bar, the saw still cuts wonderfully, but it is MUCH harder to work with, as it no longer balances. It is nose heavy, and I am constantly having to push down on the rear handle to keep the tip out of the ground. I have to carry the saw with both hands, and constantly balance pulling up with my left hand and pushing down with my right in order to keep the tip up - no fun and really tiring.

Gooserider
Yes the forearms will get to smokin with the 28 in bar I go from one cut to the next no real carrying just bucking up a trunk.At this point I can cut left or right handed helps a litte but for sure your going to fill it in your forearms

How do you cut left handed? Just cross your arms over the saw? My dad is a lefty and would always point out how some toosl are designed for right handed people, like circular saws, can openers, and automatic rifles. You didn't even realize it until he pointed it out. I moved from the poulan to a 20" bar and I don't need 20. I would think an 18" is about ideal for most logs and situations.

Highbeam said:
How do you cut left handed? Just cross your arms over the saw? My dad is a lefty and would always point out how some toosl are designed for right handed people, like circular saws, can openers, and automatic rifles. You didn't even realize it until he pointed it out. I moved from the poulan to a 20" bar and I don't need 20. I would think an 18" is about ideal for most logs and situations.
I dont cross them i just switch them. How do you cut right handed? I use both hands for everthing. Lefty in a right handed world you learn to do both.most of the trees i do are 50+ in at the base so a 20 in. is good up to the last 12-14 ft thats when you have to have atleast 28 in. bar

Hansson said:
Arlo said:
25" ....Does fine pushin it. The saw is rated for 18"-25", so its at the top of its limit, but suites my needs and its nice not bending down to buck.

25":wow: I got 14" on my 346xp
that 390 is a 65 cc saw

smokinj said:
Arlo said:
^^

friend of mine (MMUAL) thats also a member just bought a 361 20 in. bar and you could here it breaking in and getting meaner as the day went on. 59cc saw so I beleave that 390 would be standing tall at the end of the day!

I have the exact same one (bought at the end of December) and it's incredible.

Spikem said:
smokinj said:
Arlo said:
^^

I have the exact same one (bought at the end of December) and it's incredible.
The 390 and 361 is a great match up in alot of ways

Ah, well if you follow the directions and buck logs standing beside and not behind the saw then it is a right handed tool. The 390 is only a 64cc machine? The little 290 claims to be 57 or 59? I thought the 390 was much bigger for all of that extra money.

Highbeam said:
Ah, well if you follow the directions and buck logs standing beside and not behind the saw then it is a right handed tool. The 390 is only a 64cc machine? The little 290 claims to be 57 or 59? I thought the 390 was much bigger for all of that extra money.
yes it is set better for right handed unless you have a full rap the it is equal as its going to get for a lefty and yes there is only 10 cc differnts in the two saws

Great saw !

I never ran a saw with that long of a bar. I will be upgrading to a semi chisel on the next chain purchase.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.